302 Distributor?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Jap901, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Jap901

Jap901 Member

Vehicle:
    71 mav 2 door
    I have a 89 302 that was not an HO but was SD & it had a roller cam. I am going to use a carb set up with it not the efi and was woundering what distributor do i need to use? is there a diff in lenght from the older to newer distributor?

Thanks
    Jim

2. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    I just replaced the gear with a bronze gear and used my old dist from the 302 in my car (for now... will buy a new setup eventually)

3. tim keck

tim keck truckdrivintrailertrash

Vehicle:
    '72 Comet, '75 Maverick, '85 F150 4x4 ,'93 F150,'75 F100,'77 Jeep Wagoneer,'91 Dodge D250 Cummins,'90 F150 xtra cab 4x4, '93 F150 4x4
    Any carbed 302 dist. will work,just put the bronze gear on it.Only factory one that will drop in w/no mods is the '85 GT 5spd dist.(most of the auto '85's were TBI)it already has the bronze gear.:lolup:

4. Jap901

Jap901 Member

Vehicle:
    71 mav 2 door
    The cam that i am now using is A Erson roller cam and it cam with a paper that says this camshaft is compatible with stock type steel distributor gears.

Duration 294 @050 226
    304 @050 234

Lift .544

lob center is 110+4

5. 460Comet

460Comet 466 gallons/mile

Vehicle:
    1977 2 dr. 466 BBFord, C6 auto, 8 inch rear.
    stock dist gears on non roller cam engines are cast iron, not steel. It'll probably shatter on a steel roller cam, so just be aware.

6. Thack

Thack vision advicator

Vehicle:
    71 2 Dr Maverick, 70 Mustang Sportsroof, 77 F100 4x4, 72 maverick grabber wifes
    For steel roller cam shafts, Ford racing catalog recomends a steel gear (PN M-12390-b) for the distibutor on street cars over Bronze gears. Bronze gears have a faster wear rate and on race engines they are removed and inspected more often than steet cars. The Ford gear comes with very good instructions on placement also.

7. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

i had a single point distibutor on my 302 and i had to change the point about every 3 months and had to gap it about once a month.....

i changed to the MSD complete ignition system and now i dont have to change anyhting....

the distributor i have is the MSD Pro Billet Distributor.....and has the wide cap ...cost me about 250 i think

8. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    As mentioned you can use an 85 ho dizzy from a mustang.(I believe they cost about 95.00 reman from parts houses) or order this one from MSD

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ford 302/289 with Steel Gear for Hydraulic Rollers PN 8598*[/font]

This is mechanical advance only. Large cap. It does have the steel gear already pressed on. Trust me when I say it is a pain to get it right. They offered this part after I totally ruined my dizzy. Take into count I have rebuilt at least 40 dizzies and pressed many gears and bearings but this was the worst I tell you. MSD did take care of me though. Great customer service. Gave me a new dizzy and pressed the gear on at no charge. (y)
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG][/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*Not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled vehicles.[/font]

9. jim_barbier

jim_barbier Member

Vehicle:
    yes def. use a steel gear on your app. or bronze a cast will wear out both gears, dist. fist luckily and there are two different distributtors in length from the cam gear down to the oil pump shaft (or rod) make sure yours is the same length that you pull to whaT YOU REPLACE. the only other diff i know of is the diameter of the shaft where it goes through the timing chain cover and make sure they are the same because if you put in one with a smaller diameter it will go in but cause problems at the gear and the oil pump after so many miles even if it works from the get go

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005