MMB Upgrade Plans

Discussion in 'Site News, Feedback, Forum Suggestions and Help' started by Stefan, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Any updates?

2. WinterBlue71

WinterBlue71 Factory Painted Roof

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Mav 2dr, 73 Gran Torino SW, 94 Mark VIII, Anglia Ex-NHRA vintage racer
    Just now reading this. I had thought you were the admin of the station wagon forums and now I am sure of it. The 60-69 forum looks rather easy to use.

3. Stefan

Stefan Big Cheese Administrator

I ran a few conversions and have worked out most of the issues. The inflexibility of the software makes it hard to build the missing features that are missing.

I've been looking at another forums software called Xenforo, which is developed by the original vBulletin developers. Xenforo is a lot more flexible, is lightweight (ie a lot more responsive) when compared to IPB and has a vBulletin feel. It does not have all the features of vBulletin, but a big update will be released soon.

I've put the migration of the MMB to IPB on hold while I evaluate Xenforo. I only want to do do this conversion once, so I want to make sure that all the options have been looked at.

I will make a demo of Xenforo available soon for everyone to test out.

4. Stefan

yup :drive:

5. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Awesome! I figured you weren't happy with something if it wasn't done yet....after 15 years, I can wait it out. :D

6. MSmithPDX

MSmithPDX Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet (sold to scrapper), 1974 Comet GT
    Care to share any particular areas the IPB software is lacking for you? Maybe some crowd-sourcing of the site can help you out? If you're interested.

7. Stefan

What drives me nuts is the inflexibility. Just about everything in vBulletin is configurable through the admin control panel. With IPB, some of the configuration (especially for file uploading) is set in some obscure file when it should be in the control panel. This makes upgrading harder as I will need to re-edit files each time I upgrade.

In vBulletin, when things cannot be configured, they often can be extended with "hooks". Hooks are places where you can "hook in" custom code and an example of this the iTrader rating under everyone's name. The beauty of hooks is that they are preserved during upgrades.

IPB has a similar concept, but they are not as numerous and are a lot more complicated to create. As a result, you have to resort to editing files.

No one seemed to like the notification system on the demo board. Either there were to many notifications or none at all.

When compared to Xenforo, IPB feels sluggish and probably uses less resources. Ill have a demo setup soon.

8. MSmithPDX

MSmithPDX Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet (sold to scrapper), 1974 Comet GT
    Yea I get what you mean there. It's like comparing the old big huge legos for toddlers and the more advanced lego phsysics sets.

I really look forward to seeing a demo site on Xenforo, I have not had the opportunity to personally play with it in any way yet.

Xenforo looks like the future, vBulletin feels like the past, and IPB is boringly plain.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  9. Stefan

Guys, check out Xenforo, the other forum software I have been evaluating. You will need to re-register as I did not create a "bridge" with the MMB. I made the registration easy and you will not need to validate your email or answer any challenge questions (Shh, dont tell the spammers!).

I have not spent nearly as much time with Xenforo as I did with IPB and will be tweaking it and adding features over the following weeks.

Try it out and let me know how you like it. You you can compare it to the IPB forum software I originally selected.

10. RASelkirk

RASelkirk Retired!

Vehicle:
    Sonic Blue '72 w/LS-1, 200R4, 9" w/3.50
    I'm on a Xenforo board, there's one glaring problem the admins either haven't been able to solve or just don't care about. When you post a pic there is no "attachments" area in your CP, so you cannot re-reference that pic in a different post without uploading it again. I'm sure there's a huge waste of space on that board with all the multiple posts of the same image going on. Personally, I like the vBulletin based forums, but...

11. Stefan

Thanks for letting me know, I will look into this.

12. ResidentEvilRoc

ResidentEvilRoc Got bit by the HP bug.

Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick
    All that matters to me is whatever you decide to switch to, I hope the number of posts, and itrader carries over accurately. Not really looking forward to a reset.

13. Stefan

My goal is to have everything carried over.

14. ResidentEvilRoc

ResidentEvilRoc Got bit by the HP bug.

Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick

Okay, cool.

15. Stefan