Seriously Cool Nostalgia!

Discussion in 'Drag Racing' started by Fish OutOfWater, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Fish OutOfWater

Fish OutOfWater Brian

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick Grabber, 71 Plymouth 'cuda440-6
    [​IMG]
    Back in the day, anything was possible. How about an Offy with a side-mounted blower on Ed Donovan's dragster? ​

[​IMG]
    Nothing says drag racing like way too big of an engine stuffed into too little car; reminds me of the models I used to imagineer as a kid.​

[​IMG]
    Rear slicks churning, front tires grabbing air, and, an acrobatic flagman.​

[​IMG]
    Uhhh, dude? I don't think you asked for a big enough head start.​

[​IMG]
    A wheelstander with everything but the kitchen sink.​

[​IMG]
    Who said snakes can't fly? Prudhomme gets air in the lights in Seattle.​

[​IMG]
    Hard to believe that today's Top Fuelers evolved from this; from its whitewall tires to its Rat Fink-like shifter placement, I really dig this car.​

[​IMG]
    (Above) So you still think that Don Garlits invented the rear-engine dragster, do ya? (Below) Donnie and Gene Bowman's flathead-powered Vineland Villain wasn't pretty, but it sure looked crude. Back then, functionality trumped almost everything.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I love this shot, taken in the pits at Lions. No, not the neat old flip-top panel wagon -- the lady, dressed in skirt and heels. Priceless.​

[​IMG]
    Again, it's the people who make this shot. The clown, second from left, doing his "Take the picture already" pose and the other guy still slipping on (or off?) his coat, who's clearly not ready for the shot. And that dragster? Not much traction in those rear meats.​

[​IMG]
    Kinda funny, too, but for a different reason is Surfers pilot Mike Sorokin almost having his helmet sucked off at speed (center).​

[​IMG]
    And speaking of in-car cameras, I just love this shot from Jess Sturgeon's car.​

[​IMG]
    This is a great shot, too, taken from the cockpit of one of Scotty Fenn's legendary Chassis Research chassis that revolutionized the sport. I took some Photoshop liberties with the original to blur the background as the El Camino tow vehicle was a distraction. Love that steering wheel and big ol' brake handle. (Below) This is Fenn's workshop. That's Fenn at far left overseeing work on some of his K-88 and TE-448 chassis.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Another vintage chassis on this cool twin. Always amazing to me to see how primitive the early driver-protection devices were.​

[​IMG]
    Okay, if you don't like this photo, you can hardly consider yourself a drag fan. Classic Lions stuff.​

[​IMG]
    Here's how those early dragsters got their nickname; the driver sat behind the rear tires like a rock in a slingshot.​

[​IMG]
    A couple of engines, four tires, a little extra tubing, a welder, and there's little that early drag racers couldn't -- and didn't -- try.​

[​IMG]
    I looooooooove this shot. The photographer did such a great job of exposing it and allowing you to see every detail, nut, and bolt on the blower. Arthur Trim tells me that this is Connie Kalitta's Logghe-chassised Ford-powered digger, photographed on a chassis dyno in one of Ford's labs/​

[​IMG]
    Indy is a place where magical thi ngs happen. Look closely, and you can see that "Big John's" battle-scarred 'Cuda has all four tires off the ground.​

[​IMG]
    Not all new ideas were good ones; Exhibit A is Noel Black's two-engine, four-wheel-drive Top Fueler from 1967.​

[​IMG]
    Call me an astute observer, but I reckon that "Big Jim" Dunn was pretty much done for this run at Lions in the rainbow-hued Dunn & Reath digger.​

[​IMG]
    Who says you need four wheels?​

[​IMG]
    "I'll take Scary Fast Tricycles for $500, Alex."​

2. Fish OutOfWater

Fish OutOfWater Brian

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick Grabber, 71 Plymouth 'cuda440-6
    Part II

[​IMG]

In the same vein, who says you even need four wheels or three wheels? The famed Leffler-Coburn Iron Mistress coupe had six! In a true example of the sum of the parts not being equal to the whole, Neil Leffler and Bill Coburn each took the fuel-burning Hemis from their competition coupes and paired them for this interesting experiment. It wasn't real fast, but it was spectacular.​

[​IMG]

We've seen lead weights and tubes filled with lead shot as front-end ballast, but a rock? I kid you not. Clearly, the Red Mountain Boys knew how to rock.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I think we've all seen the classic photo above of Don Garlits' career-changing transmission explosion at Lions, but at left is the less-seldom-seen but equally-breathtaking downtrack angle. I'm not sure who circled the fan in the stands or why, but that's how this image was posted.​

[​IMG]

I've never seen this car before, but it can't be any mistake that the names on its side are Capp and Fedderly, as in future Top Fuel partners (and Indy winners) Terry Capp and Bernie Fedderly. Both are still at it years later, Capp in nostalgia racing and Fedderly as Auston Coil's alter ego on the John Force team.​

[​IMG]

The first rule of running against a jet dragster: Always leave first.​

[​IMG]

Herman Munster, far lane, and Grandpa dueled at Lions in a ghoulish go that was featured on the popular television show.​

[​IMG]

The driver's reaction in this photo is classic after his blown Fiat puked all over the Lions starting line.​

3. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    GREAT STUFF!! :thumbs2:

4. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    those are some great pics!
    thanks.

5. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Awsome pics...the last one is the perfect shot to end the pictorial on LOL...

6. Al Martin

Al Martin Member

Vehicle:
    72 maverick
    If I recall correctly, that was Don Garlits running against that Go-Kart and LOST! I heard about it years ago, but never saw it till now.
    Thanks.
    Al

7. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Burnin corn

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick Grabber,2017 dodge ram,88t-bird,indian scout,Indian Chieftain.95 Mustang GT
    Cool Man! Bitchin pic"s.

8. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    Neat photos. I used to go to Lions in Long Beach. Was fun to watch the dragsters. Most places they push started and went back to the starting line. Lions they pushed them on to the rollers and started them spinning. Then they drove up to the starting line.:)

9. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber-Factory V8 w/3spd, 72 Maverick-351 Procharged for Strip, 71 Comet GT-331/4spd
    Excellent photos! I love history stuff. Thanks.:thumbs2:

10. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Awesome pics. I love it.

11. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    Awesome pic's I love the good ol days.........

12. 70ProStreet

70ProStreet Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick ex-B/SM car, 1978 F-150 4x4, 1992 5.0 Mustang, 1978 Jeep CJ7 (ford powered)
    Great pics, my grandpa was friends with Walt Knoch Sr., owner of Walt's Puffer. Walt Jr. lives about 10 min. away from me too.

[​IMG]

13. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Boy that bring's back memories of Flightland drag strip in Omaha Nebr. We had a fellow there, that had suffered from polio as a child and lost the use of his left leg and foot. He built the first rear engine dragster that I had seen in the late 50's. It was powered by a Studebaker V8, with auto transmission and a starter, because of his condition. Next car was a 40 Ford coupe, with a Old's engine sitting in the driver's compartment. The driver sat in the nose of the hood, which had a plexiglas window in it. Quite a contraption and ran very decent too.

Later in life he quit driving and helped out a Nebraska motorsport's hall of famer, named Howdy William's, on his dragster. Maybe I can find some old pic's of his engineered car's. Old age has caused me to even forget his name.

Do remember, after getting a cruiser boat and attending some sand bar parties on the Missouri river, he showed up at one, to cook a pig for our clan of pirate's of the river. His spit was made from his old stainless, iron lung, which were used by most polio patients in those days. Three burner's and rotisourii that kept ol Porky, a roastin all night.During those evening hour's, he and I stayed up to keep the temperature of all three burner's, the same. Best pork feed I have ever had, along with his company all night and some liquid refreshment to boot. Yes, those were some great day's.

14. M.A.V.

M.A.V. Yep,my real initials.

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber Maverick,1966 Fairlane GT Pro Street
    We have member on here "48fordnut" who owns a "Digger" or "Slingshot" rear engine dragster he just finished building this year it is really neat . Maybe he will post some details.

I know that it has a 302 ci 283 motor with tall "Stack" type injection and it runs on Alky.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  15. Blown 5.0

Blown 5.0 Hooked on BOOST MEMBER

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    :dancing: YEA! And I Love all the BLOWERS! :dancing: