How long should RTV cure before refilling with oil?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by scooper77515, Dec 11, 2011.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    This is applicable for the rear end, transmission pan (if not using a gasket), I guess even for installing an intake.

Currently, doing the 200,000 mile maintenance on my truck, and using RTV on rear differential and transmission pan.

On pan now, I have followed directions on RTV (1/4" bead, tighten finger tight til squeeze out the sides a bit, wait one hour, tighten another 1/4-1/2 turn).

So, now, how long before it is safe to refill the transmission?

RTV package says "dries in 1 hour, fully cured in 24 hours". So, is it safe after one hour?

Also, it is only 50-55 degrees in the garage, so what is the answer for a typical day, and how much more time should I wait in this cooler temperature?

2. Eastern Raider

Eastern Raider Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick ford mustangs 1993 f150
    Sounds safe after 1 hr. to me, with my mechanical back ground. Check into the latest thing ,Indian head gasket sealer by permatex. Transmission man once told me to not use glues on transmissions, and I dont. :tiphat: I hope this helps.

3. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    Next time pick up the "The Right stuff" rtv sealer from permatex you can use it and 5 min later fill up.

4. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    X2, I use the black stuff.

5. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here

a fun fact permatex created the right stuff for the oem assembly lines....they needed a fast cure product so the line would move along with no slow up!!!!!

6. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    Our RTV at Chrysler is formulated for trans pans and fluids.(permatex) NO wait time at all. Bolt the pan on and fill it up. Never had one leak. The fluid wont penetrate the bead created in the pan so it doesnt effect the seal between the pan and case. Used it for 20 years on valve covers and trans pans. Our differential rtv is a redish orange color designed for diff fluids. You need the right rtv for the right job. If in doubt go grab a tube from the dealer. The dealer wont use a product that takes long dry times nor would the factory supply us with such product.

7. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    The last time I took it to chrysler, they used black. And by the time I got there to pick it up, there was a huge puddle under the truck. They took it back in and had to do it again.

I took on the trans job this time, and now I remember why I took it to Chrysler the last 2 times.

I HATE!!!! transmission fluid. I got it EVERYWHERE!!!

8. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    Thats not the RTV's fault Scoop thats the tech and preparation. ITs not rocket science. Make sure no old RTV exists is the biggie. No oil remains on the surfaces. Thats the hard part but the ATF RTV will still work if a bit of oil exists on the surface. Its good stuff. I use a scraper or razor blade on the case and my 3m cookie on the pan. I clean with brake clean and a cloth. Bead the pan. Make sure the case is dry and clean. Put the pan up quickly and secure with a couple of bolts. Put in the rest and snug it all up. Dont forget the filter/filters not that I have ever done that.LOL.;)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  9. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    I hate to find RTV on a transmission pan. First because most RTVs turn to jelly when exposed to ATF (that jelly is a PITA to clean out of oil passages and valve bodies) and second is that it is over-applied more often than not.

I use a gasket and Loc-tite #518 (gasket maker/flange sealer) because it is impervious to all fluids and temps and it cures in about one minute when it is tightened down.
    It won't cure until it is tightened down, so you can apply it to both sides of the gasket (.010" film) and it will fill small imperfections yet it comes off with the gasket - no scraping or cutting required.

10. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt BBF life

Vehicle:
    1970 ford torino #1

X2 rtv is no good for atf

11. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Chrysler does not make a gasket for this truck, as far as I know. I would prefer a gasket, if I could find one.

I use a wire wheel on a die grinder to get all the old stuff off. Acetone, and ready for the goop!