mod maverick?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by comet_gt72, Jul 10, 2006.

1. comet_gt72

comet_gt72 Member

Vehicle:
    My first car, i have had it for 12 years.
    anyone ever hear of a mod maverick? my dad said he almost bought one from the ford dealership in 1972. he says it was a dealer add on with sidewinder pipes, a 4 speed, mickey thompson tires on cragars, and a mod maverick decals. i cant find any info on them and i have a 69.5 that would make a cool mod

2. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    was that the one they called the bearcat?:)

3. comet_gt72

comet_gt72 Member

Vehicle:
    no, not the bearcat, i know of about 3 guys around here who remember the mod.

4. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    It was likely dealer spcecific to that area. Sounds neat though!!!

5. comet_gt72

comet_gt72 Member

Vehicle:
    yeah, thats what i figured too. a friend of the family said that he used to know where one sat in a field, but i have yet to see one.

6. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Yes....they exist. MCCI member Rudy Bidlack has one. He bought it new. It is now green with flames on it.

7. maverickdvm

maverickdvm Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    69.5 Mav 393C super gas car(work in progress), 72 2-door Mav 351C street/strip 1/4 mile car, 70 Grabber 302 pure stock drag project, 72 Grabber 351W, 74 4 dr Comet 302, 70 Grabber 300i6 project, 69.5 200i6 Stock, 71 Grabber 302 Stock
    It was a package from Jack Keller and Duttler(sp?) Ford in Grand Rapids, Michigan. If we could get original info from them, we could race a 351W 4 speed in the pure stock class....

8. comet_gt72

comet_gt72 Member

Vehicle:
    did they come with a 351w?

9. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    I met a Guy last year who said his buddy bought one new at Sealye Ford in Kalimazoo, Michigan. I called the dealer since it still exists and nobody, including somebody that had worked there since the early 70's had never heard of it or recall them selling such a Maverick.

10. comet_gt72

comet_gt72 Member

Vehicle:
    yeah, seely ford is where he said he almost bought it from, in kalamazoo. it is just weird that there isnt a picture or anything anywhere of an original one.

11. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Bearcat was a Comet.

12. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    is that the reason he has the hole in the front(passenger side) of his radiator support?

13. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

I really have no idea.

??????

He has pictures of what it looked like new. It looks better now (y)

I am also pretty sure it came with a 302. No Maverick ever came from the factory with a 351. If the mod maverick could be had with a 351....it was a dealer installed option.

14. cometguy

cometguy Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet GT 302/AOD, 1972 Mustang NHRA Stock Eliminator 351C
    It seems that there were many dealerships with their creative marketing plants working overtime in the early '70's. They must have seen the writing on the wall with respect to rising insurance costs and downsizing of body styles etc. I recently stumbled upon a copy of an autosports newspaper that was published in Canada and covered the local racing scene. It was from Feb, 1971 and has some neat ads and articles about Ford product. You may have heard of Sandy Elliot, his son John and Barrie Poole from Chatham, Ontario. Sandy had a Mercury dealership and was heavily involved in drag racing back then. This paper has an ad from them offering a "BANDIT" edition of the '71 Comet. It could be had with the 302, auto or stick, F70-14 GoodYears, a handling package, blacked-out taillight panel and "Bandit" id. The copy reads; "Low initial cost, low insurance rates. Add muscle parts and make your Bandit fly!"

At that time they were about to introduce their '71 ProStock Comet and I'm sure hoped to capitalize on the opportunity to use the race car to sell some street inventory.

In the same paper, the Director of the Ford of Canada Drag Team is clearing their stable of race cars. They could have been purchased for the Ford sticker value....all the race parts were free!! He also had a one-off Maverick project car called a "COLT". It had a Boss 302, FMX auto with a stall converter and Sig Erson cam, 9" TracLok rear w/4.30 gears, G70-14 tires on Cragar S/S wheels, upgraded brakes(believe it or not), front and rear spoilers and black-out features. The car even had a shaker scoop borrowed from the Mach 1. It was advertised as being "Grabber Orange". All for $3995 Cdn.:slap:

15. SRMatheson

SRMatheson Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    I spoke today with a man from grand rapids who is out in utah on vacation. He commented on my maverick and we started talking about his memories. He knew Jack Keller and always purchased his vehicles there. He mentioned the mod maverick and how it was incredible so I asked him if he could contact Keller and get some more info. He did and this is what we learned:

A Jack Keller Mod Maverick came with Mickey Thompson tires customized to to 12" wide fitting a 7" ET Mag rim. It had 4" Shackles on the Rear leaf springs and had the special Jack Keller Decal on the rear. That's it. As for engine size they changed nothing. If it was 6 cyl then it stayed. I am trying to get a picture to post from another friend of Keller's who purchased one new.

Hopefully this helps anyone looking to do the mod to their own.