302 engine block drain plug/freeze plug...???

Discussion in 'Technical' started by mean_maverick, Jul 4, 2006.

1. mean_maverick

mean_maverick Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 4dr
    i kept noticing a slight amount of coolant gone from the radiator after a couple of days of sitting, well since im off for the 4th i thought i would just get outside and enjoy the day tinkering with the car. well, i found out where the water was going....(and i also think this is the main part of my overheating problem)

there's a hole on the driver's side of the block, near the back that was leaking. i took my header off of that side and put a small screwdriver in it and all kinds of 'gunk' came out. i cleaned the hole out ad everything and i went to put a 1/2" freeze plug in it only to notice that it didnt fit right. so i thought it might have been a threaded hole so i tried a threaded plug... no luck. it doesnt look like there are any threads in the hole.

so here's my question, does anyone on here know if this is a threaded or non-threaded hole. and maybe what size plug i need to get for it...? any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated:bowdown:

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  2. igo1090

igo1090 Member

Vehicle:
    75 maverick, 93 tbird tube car
    not threaded. did u get out all of the old freeze plug? hole must be clean. go get a rubber expansion type plug u put it in the hole and tighten the nut to expand the rubber plug. i forget if u need 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 inch size. these are much easier than trying to drive in a freeze plug in a cramped space. ive had 1 in my motor for 3 yrs now

3. RegL404

RegL404 Member

That hole to the right of the brass freeze plug looks like a block drain. I think it is supposed to be 1/4" pipe thread.

4. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    why do the pics. have an 8/01/2005 date :huh: ...frank...:bouncy:

5. mean_maverick

mean_maverick Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 4dr
    i've never set the date one the camera:slap: .... and yes, im referring to the small hole in the pictures BESIDE of the brass freeze plug.

6. MNTony

MNTony aka Godzirra

Vehicle:
    72 Turbo FI Maverick, 2006 GMC Sierra Duramax 4x4, 2014 Ford Mustang GT 4spd
    That hole is threaded in my block and has a pipe plug in it. Not sure why yours doesn't look that way? The rubber expansion plug may not be a bad idea if you can find one the correct size. Good luck!

7. igo1090

igo1090 Member

Vehicle:
    75 maverick, 93 tbird tube car
    sorry. thought u meant the freeze plug hole. drain hole is usually 1/4 npt. try a cleanout tap and a new plug.