Color change for the interior

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by rudyska, Mar 16, 2005.

1. rudyska

rudyska Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick
    I want to black out the interior in my maverick. Right now its blue and i just think the "shade" of the blue is absolutely disgusting. How would I go about changing the interior? I know it'd be kind of hard, but its something I want to do. I'd like to put some new seats with black vinyl covering, along with black carpet, etc, etc, etc..... what do I do about the dash, roof material, the plastic on the sides in the backseat, etc....? If any of you have completely changed your interior, send me a message. I'd like some advice... and you guys are great at giving advice. Thanks! :p

2. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    It's actually quite easy to go from blue to black. Strip out everything in the interior and inspect everything for damaged or cracked parts. Repair or replace as needed. Then for anything hard, use KRYLON FUSION satin black. FUSION is made for plastics. Any of the soft vinyl pieces like door trim cards can also be KRYLON'd, but I prefer the liquid vinyl dyes. They are sold wherever autobody supplies are sold, or JC Whitney has it to. With careful work, you can take apart and repaint the heater control and dash cluster too. The headliner will need to be replaced. You can try spraying it in place, but they are only like $60, so just get a new one.

Check out the tech article I did on a console restoration. That was a change from blue to black. You'll find it in the Special Topics section.

Eric J

3. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber-Factory V8 w/3spd, 72 Maverick-351 Procharged for Strip, 71 Comet GT-331/4spd
    I painted the vinyl seats, door panels, and dashpad with vinyl paint, the doors, rear metal by window and metal part of dash with regular paint, the front and rear kick panel things and plastic parts with bumper trim paint (it's flexible, durable and worked great), got new carpet for $140 and a new headliner for $50. Black is beautiful. Also, I've painted seats in the past with vinyl paint and it lasted for years. Good luck.