Headliner replacement

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by blugene, Oct 31, 2007.

1. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    We could use a tech article from one of you guys that have done it, thanks.:cool:

2. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick, 1972 grabber
    my tech artical would have a lot of cuss words in it. so i will wait for someone, that had better luck wit theirs.

3. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    This would be my tech article on the subject:

1. Take it to a pro :D

Seriously.....I removed all the glass myself, and all the weatherstripping. I took the car and new headliner to the upholstery shop. $50 later it was installed.

4. Rando76

Rando76 Member

Vehicle:
    Collection of Mavericks and Comets
    I haven't done a Maverick headliner yet, but have done others. Most of the expense of an upholstery shop when it comes to headliners is labor. If you do all the prep up front and all they have to do is the installation of the headliner - it's much cheaper. This is also true for fabric headliners with boards. :thumbs2:

5. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I'm planning on doing my own, once we find the correct color, I have a guy lined up to help me that used to do them on the line.

6. JOEXR793

JOEXR793 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I have a 1976 Maverick Stallion, and 85 More Mavericks and Comets in Inventory.
    I did mine on the White Maverick you see in the pic,,, It was my first time,,, mine went in with no problem,, but I got a new headliner from RPS,, and it did need trimming,, one of the things I found out and needs to be in a certain order is the metal hoops,,, they are all diferant lengths,, having them layed out in order is a plus.
    they are color coded on one end,, and yellow on the other so I took that to mean they were coded rt to left by diferant colors,, and front to back acording to length.

I was told to use a spray glue 3M spray 77 and its all about stretching it into place,,, not to hard I atached the front first then stretche it to the back window area,,, then worked the sides to remove the wrinkles,,, I did it my self and it took about 3 hrs,, but if I had to do it again,,,, it wouldnt take that long,,, First times a charm,,,,

Joe

7. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys.
    I am willing to do it my self, but would like some instructions to help along the way.

Craig, $50 sounds like a deal. I might do something like that since I do have to trailer my car to Dallas anyway for the glass man to do that part. I just hope whoever I find can deal with the trailer factor...

8. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I was just thinking, should I have the car painted before the glass/headliner project? Or wait till after so that the masking will be easier? (I think)

9. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber

i would paint first :yup:.

when you pull the glass, clean, clean and then clean some more. this also gives you a chance to see any ...pin holes...at the bottom of the window opening. there are also ...drain holes... there. :yup:
    at the bottom of the opening, there are ...2000 pinch welds...i took a hammer and block and flattened these as best i could. then took a grinder and smoothed them out...JMO

...:Handshake...
    (don't forget the ...little stands...at the bottom).

10. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Definitely paint first,then install head liner,then the glass.In this instance the right way is the only way.

11. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Great info guys! Thanks alot! :thumbs2:

12. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    You guys scared to show off your headliners or something? :p
    I know a headliner is just a headliner but, what kinda rag we looking at when your in your ride?...
    My liner is going to be a dark blue, like bluejean :)16suspect), the carpet is silver. It's a dark silver so I like it :cool:.
    I am going for blues and charcoals inside.

13. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    I watched a guy install one in Terry's '77. It looked like serious PITA. I may still attempt to install mine in my '73 myself though.

The whole interior in the car will be black, so I am going with a black headliner with the crater finish. I am planning to attempt to install the front and rear windows myself, too. Alot of step by step write up's on Mustang sites.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  14. tom butas

tom butas Member

Vehicle:
    Sold my 1974 Comet - Looking super nice 73 Maverick near Memphis
    Pay to get it done. Find someone in your area that does older Mustangs, they have the experience I found out. I had a time finding someone around here last spring.

15. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    I put one in a VW bug once......and an interior guy told me that they were the hardest to because nothing is square or flat. It was a job, but I got it in about half a day. The biggest thing I had problems with was getting all the wrinkles worked out to the sides. Installing the glass was the easy part, a piece of rope and a small wooden paddle to work the seal with.