Search tool options

Discussion in 'Site News, Feedback, Forum Suggestions and Help' started by mercgt73, Jan 23, 2011.

1. mercgt73

mercgt73 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet GT (clone), 1974 Mustang II, 1980 Bobcat Wagon
    I'm not sure, but does the search tool support options like '+, -, "exact phrase", (or)'? The tools are described here: http://onlinebusiness.about.com/od/ebaycenter/tp/ebay-search-tips.htm

The site is getting larger and wondered if this was available? I'm having trouble finding old posts, but it could just be me and not the search tool. Thanks,

2. Stefan

Stefan Big Cheese Administrator

You can do wildcard searches like temp* which will return results with the words temp, temperature, etc. You can also do a phrase search like "302 V8" or combine it with a wildcard search like "302 V8" temp* which will return results with 302 V8 and temp, temperature.

You can also use the key words OR, AND & NOT to include or exclude certain words. So a search with shelby NOT mustang would return results with the word shelby and filter out posts with the word mustang.

There also is a 3 letter character minimum when searching. You can search for 302 but not for V8. To bypass the three letter search minimum, perform a wildcard search like V8* .

There also is a "stopword" list and these words will not return anything when searched as they are very common and do not help with searching. The forum uses the default list that comes with the MySQL database that the forum uses
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-stopwords.html

3. mercgt73

mercgt73 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet GT (clone), 1974 Mustang II, 1980 Bobcat Wagon
    Thanks Stefan!