1969.5 or 1970 V8 conversion

Discussion in 'Technical' started by EFIMAV, Dec 14, 2004.

1. EFIMAV

EFIMAV Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick, FRPP 5.0, AOD, 3.80 equaloc
    Was discussing, with another board member, the intricacies of swapping a V8 into the 69.5 or 70 maverick. If memory serves correctly, these cars have a different floor pan with a smaller trans tunnel. Also, are the shock towers "spaced" the same on all mavs? In addition, will an AOD fit the 70 trans tunnel? Is there anyone out there that transplanted a V8 and/or AOD into their 69 or 70 mav using the 71-77 conversion parts? If so, was it a bolt in? What about the tranny crossmember? The V8 conversion in my 74 6cyl was strictly a bolt-in! Those that have accomplished this swap (V8 in 69 or 70) please let us know what you disovered during the conversion!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  2. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    If you use a C4, it all goes right in. The AOD is a bit bigger around the bell, and you will have to "massage" the floor to get it to fit, but it is not that hard. I am working with a guy here at work to have an AOD put into my '69.5. Let me know how it goes.

3. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    I don't have all the answers but one thing I found is that the dual hump tranny crossmember will not bolt right in. the bolt spacing on the 70 is about 3/4 narrower and the tabs on the X-member around the bolt holes will have to be reworked also, because they will hit on the floor brace that holds the X-member and keep it from getting high enough to line up. But if you run an AOD you will have to fab the X-member anyways.

4. Grabber-1

Grabber-1 Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick
    Yes the tunnel is smallerI swapped from my 74 into 69.5 reworked the X-member :slap: (Dremel wheel) but if memory serves me(I did this probebly about15 years ago and sold it long ago, big mistake the kid wrecked it and then junked it:cry: ) the 6_cyl X-member would have worked but I needed the duoble hump to fit the 3" pipes(everylittle bit helps)

5. EFIMAV

EFIMAV Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick, FRPP 5.0, AOD, 3.80 equaloc
    Thanks for all of the replies. We were discussing the fact that a newer crossmember may not bolt in! Earl (or anyone), did the V8 frame stands bolt to the "frame" without any trouble? If so, did the motor w/mounts bolt right in?

6. scott

scott Member

Vehicle:
    1970...302 c4 hookers dynamax (for now)
    in your case everything is a direct bolt-in except the tranny mount. gotta cut it a little bit. you'll see what everybody means when you go to make it fit, we used a sawzall to make it fit better. best of luck!

7. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    Everything was a bolt in for me. I am still running a single hump cross member. I would like to run an AOD some day, so keep me posted on how much massaging (pics) you had to do to make it work.