Odd '73 Grabber color combination

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Jean Doll, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    Hey everyone. It's been a while since I have been on the board, but that's because Dale and I have been real busy. One of the projects we have just started on has been the restoration of our neighbors 1973 Grabber. My neighbor has no intention of painting the car it's original color again, but it's the stock color of car that has me curious. The original color was Light Pewter Poly ( AKA silver ) with white stripes on the hood, and the bottom of the car and tail light panel were also painted white. I have never seen this color combination before and it seems kind of odd to me. :hmmm: Has any one else ever seen a silver Grabber with white stripes and accents?

2. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    I haven't but what does the paint code say. I'd hate to see a one of a kind Grabber get changed.:)

3. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    I've never seen a silver grabber either. Sounds cool though :)

4. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Oh, just wait....:rolleyes:

Anyways, 5A was "Light Pewter Metallic" for 1973...and would have been available, with either white or black stripes.
    I've never seen one that color combo. Post some pic's please!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  5. Jean Doll

Vehicle:
    I'm afraid posting pics really won't be of much help. At sometime in this Grabbers life someone painted it blue and slapped some silver stripes on it. Fortunately the door jambs were never repainted so the stock colors are still there. We are currently stripping the car down to bare metal and the original silver and white paint is still under the blue paint. Even if it is an unusual color combination it won't matter to the owner. He's already decided on the color he likes and it's not silver. Hey, it's his car and he can do what he likes with it. Still, I had never seen a silver and white color combo on a Grabber before and wondered if anyone else had. If it really is one of the rarer color combos I will let him know about it. Short of a marti report, how can one find out how many cars were produced with a certain color combination?

6. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Can you give us a shot of the door jamb. I have never seen that color combo.

7. Jean Doll

Vehicle:
    Here's a couple of pictures I took today. They all came out lousy due to the flash bleaching the colors out. The one showing the white in the jamb was the best in the batch. You can see the white paint on the edge of the jamb, including some of the original white stripes that were painted silver. Yes, the original stripes were painted over with silver paint. Someone was too cheap to buy new ones I guess. I can scrape the silver paint off to reveal the white stripe underneath. I also checked to see what was under the white paint. The only thing under there was the stock primer. I also included a picture of the VIN tag which
    indicates that the car is a real Grabber and it's original color and paint code. You can also see the edges of the white stripes just inside the door jamb.
    On a seperate note, we dropped the rear out of the car today so I could clean it. After scrapping off gobs of dirt and oil I made a unexpected discovery. The rear apparently does not belong to this Grabber or any other Maverick for that matter. I think it came off of a 1967 Torino. I'm not real familair with ID'ing the casting numbers, so maybe someone else might have an idea what this rear came out of. I didn't get a chance to take a picture of it, but I did write the numbers down. The casting numbers are:

C7OW
    4025A

The metal tag on the rear has these numbers stamped on it:

WDW-U 2JC
    3 00 8 521C
    Can anyone here break these numbers down?

8. Jean Doll

Vehicle:
    Opps! I forgot the pictures. Yep, I'm a dumba**.:oops:

Attached Files:

9. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Oooooh Nice!! It's a Dearborn car.

10. bri

bri midnight special

Vehicle:
    71 comet GT. 414 cu, c-4, 9+, spool 3.25, 35 spline axles, back halved,12 point,,4 whl wilwood discs, 3 link,tubbed. 73 comet sdn 302, 76 comet 2dr 6 cyl, 84 z-28 468. 98 f-150 4x4 5.4, 98 fld 120, 500 detroit. 09 jeep grand cherokee.
    the diff numbers indicate (as far as i can tell..) a 67 mustang 8" 28 spline unit. and i think i saw those colours on a brazilian car if my memory serves me well..wich it does not always do.. good luck.

11. edinho morais

edinho morais New Member

Vehicle:
    maverick 1976 from brazil
    has a maverick grabber on the web that is in a position of a maverick Gazoline green.
    what is the name of that paint?

12. bri

bri midnight special

Vehicle:
    71 comet GT. 414 cu, c-4, 9+, spool 3.25, 35 spline axles, back halved,12 point,,4 whl wilwood discs, 3 link,tubbed. 73 comet sdn 302, 76 comet 2dr 6 cyl, 84 z-28 468. 98 f-150 4x4 5.4, 98 fld 120, 500 detroit. 09 jeep grand cherokee.
    I have not seen it yet..welcome from mission b.c. canada..you guys have some damn nice mavericks in brazil.

13. edinho morais

edinho morais New Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick has many beautiful, but there has many cars and most v8.

14. bri

bri midnight special

Vehicle:
    yes ..here there are many power parts available..but in brazil there are many maverick cars and parts we cannot get here in canada or the u.s. brazil is known here for its many custom mavericks. not to forget your beautifull women of course..

15. edinho morais

edinho morais New Member

Vehicle:
    Yes, if I had the same amount of maverick who has a beautiful woman would be in heaven. did you know that Brazil also called chi in the maverick from maveco!