Runs nice in cold weather and Runs rough in hot weather why?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Regicide408, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Regicide408

Regicide408 Member

Vehicle:
    74 maverick i6
    So i got this 74 mav i6 it runs fine in the mornings or in the cold weather but when its hot weather it runs rough how do i adjust this. Another thing is when the car is in park it revs high, i tried to adjust the carb but it still revs high in park and to low in drive. how do i adjust a carter 1bb carb?

2. sportyfamilycar

sportyfamilycar ElMaverick

Vehicle:
    (2) 77' Mavericks
    You need to adjust a carburetor for weather. As carburetors dont automatically adjust or self contained like Fuel Injection. Carburetors generally like more air in 90+ degree weather and more gas around freezing temperatures. Try and find a middle ground so it will run fine in the heat and cool weather.

I make mine more lean in the summer and more rich in the winter.

Chokes only come into play for the winter time IMO, they flip closed and let your motor burn more gas until it warms up.
    If you have everything on the motor adjusted just right, it shouldn't take the car more than a minute to be ready to drive and not be hesitant (summer or winter).

I have no chokes on any of my mavs and I've driven them daily going on about 5 years.

my 2 cents

3. sportyfamilycar

Vehicle:
    (2) 77' Mavericks
    the carter yf should have an idle screw on the driver side of the car, near you throttle plate.

---have someone put the car in gear and adjust it then. keep the idle fast enough that your motor isnt bouncing about and seems smooth.

its fine that it will idle faster in park as your motor wont have as much resistance on it from the rear end/gears. just be sure it idles and takes gas fine in gear.

the air mixture screw is on the passenger side, near the base plate on the bottom. this will adjust amount of air coming in at idle which in turn affects air/fuel mixture. again just aim for it idling fine in gear. I believe a good starting point is 1 1/4 turns out and play around from there.

:Handshake

4. sportyfamilycar

Vehicle:
    (2) 77' Mavericks
    you'll run very very rich, and generally they wont run on choke after a few minutes as they starve of air

5. Regicide408

Regicide408 Member

Vehicle:
    74 maverick i6
    Good info thnx. fuel on driver side air on passenger side. Will have to adjust it when it stops raining here. Yeah the car runs good when driving but at a stop it wants to turn off. But thanks for the good info.

6. sportyfamilycar

Vehicle:
    (2) 77' Mavericks
    yea, I've ditched all the chokes that came with my cars, be it shutoff by heat or electric, I never seem to have luck with them.
    If I ever throw a choke on one of mine I may just rig it up manual.