Brake light problems

Discussion in 'Technical' started by spacefish69, Feb 14, 2003.

1. spacefish69

spacefish69 New Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    hi, I have a 72 Maverick 6cyl.

my right side brake light isn't working. I have no voltage on wire in the harnis under left side floor panel. when brake applied.

Here is what I have tried. Fuses, new bulbs. When I run a jumper wire from the + brake switch to the wire that goes to the right brake, break light works and turn signal, except... When i turn the lights on I have no brake lights at all.

All filements on bulp light up in normal use , signal and parking lights work fine no brake .

Any ideas would be great. Thank You

2. MavJoe

MavJoe Certified Lunatic

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Perhaps the wiring harness plug could be the problem I had a wire slip out of mine awhile back, brake lights did not work I used
    a pair of wire strippers fenagled the wires back in there clipped it as tight as I could with needle nose pliers and used some electrical tape to secure it a little more works fine now. Only idea I can come up with at the moment.

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Your turn signal switch may be faulty. the brake lines run through it. Second, check all grounds. I would say the majority of all weird lighting problems can be traced down to bad grounds. Take all ground wires off, clean them up with sand paper, and reattach them.

4. qicvick

qicvick Member

Vehicle:
    1972 grabber
    I had the same problem,it was the turn signal switch,just my right brake light would work,I could grab my turn signal switch and put pressure on it (push it toward the dash) and my left brake light would start working

5. spacefish69

spacefish69 New Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    Thank You

Thank you all for the help. qicvick post was my problem. You saved me lots of time.

Thanks again