carburetor problems

Discussion in 'Technical' started by duster70, Sep 1, 2006.

1. duster70

duster70 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick I-6 automatic
    having problems installing new carb. i installed it succesfully, but when i start the car i have problems. when i start the car the engine is already revving like if the gas is pushed in all the way. i looked at the carb setup and on the throttle linkage the big spring is missing. this means that gas is always accelerating and since it has no springs, its like the accelerator stays on the floor. do i just put the old spring from the other carb into the new one? thanks for the help:tiphat:

2. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    yeah, do the spring thing.
    Dan

3. 924 Mav

924 Mav Ed Winegar

Vehicle:
    (2) 1970 Mavericks and a 1971 4dr Maverick
    Duster,

I do not mean to hi jack the thread but you live in the Rosenberg Tx area don't You? I saw a copper colored 72 Comet driving south on 36 this morning. Do you know who's it is? Have you seen it. It was nice looking

4. duster70

duster70 Member

Vehicle:
    i dissasembled the bottom half of the carb. the bottom half of the carb where the spring assembly is(where the air mixture screw is). it was no good. the carb is basicly the same as the old one, but it has some things different. the big spring didnt fit. the bottom part of the carb it didnt have enough space for the spring. there was a gap missing where the idle screw is where the spring has to go to. i can go to autozone tomorrow but i dont think there going to help much. can i just put the bottom half of the old carb on to te new one? if i do this the spring will fit. i also noticed that the new carb the same bottom half is missing a metal thingy where a hose is suppose to go. i think if i change the bottom half to the old one it would solve all the problems. thanks fo the help:tiphat:

was the comet u saw a 4-door?

5. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    If I were you, I would try the base of the old carb. The metal thingy is probably a vacuum port? Clean the old base up real good if you can, and be careful of the gasket while changing too. They can be delicate.
    Dan

6. hotrod-daddy

hotrod-daddy Member

Vehicle:
    a 1971 Grabber with a 302/351
    While at auto zone you may want to pick up another gasket to be on the safe side

7. duster70

duster70 Member

Vehicle:
    hey back again.:mad: bad news. i tried changing the base, and I did change it actually, but it didnt work. I dont remeber why right now, but I remember it didnt work:rofl: . It think it was the same thing about the spring. The spring is still too big for the top part of the carb and somehow it messed with the choke plate(the one under the top one:huh: ) I had to take off the choke plate to install the other spring but then I couldnt put the choke plate back on because the place for the screws wasnt In place because of the spring. I cant really explain it, sorry. Anyhow, what do I do now?

Hey dan was the comet a 4 door? If it is I have seen it three times, but I dont know who it is:huh:

8. duster70

duster70 Member

Vehicle:
    anybody here????? help please!

:tiphat: