springs 67-73 small blk vs big block

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Maverick Man, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    just wondering since 67 to 73 mustang springs will fit a maverick. anyone know how much the differance between the small blk springs are vs the big block springs. the only thing the differance would be is the spring rate. what do you guys think or better yet know.

reason is, Eibach discontined the small block ones. however i found someone that has them in stock for the big block.

2. Max Power

Max Power Vintage Ford Mafia

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick, 1969 Mustang Sportsroof, 1970 Mustang Grande Project
    That's a good question, probably their tech line can answer.

With the number of good 620 small block springs in the Mustang shops, no need to go Eibach anymore, IMO....

3. Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    true but i can get a WD price on on them thats why i wanna get them. thats about 50% off... i'm cheap! and if the big block ones have a higher spring rate i'd rather have those.. i need to cut them anyways.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  4. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    Cutting big-block springs will not lower the car with a small-block. it will only make the ride stiff as hell and it will sit too high. I knew a guy who did that with a '70 Camaro; he put cut big-block springs in it with a Chevy 350 motor and the car sat high all the way around.

Also, stiffer is not always better...you want them somewhat stiff for handling, but there is such thing as too stiff. You want the tire to maintain contact with the road surface when going over bumps and road irregularities.

Good sway-bars with urethane bushings are a better way to go than springs that are too stiff...

5. Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    well already got the rear and front swaybars already and urethanes at in every place where i can put them. just looking for something differant.

stiff is what i want... i'll get some 3 way shocks to adjust anything that seems to harsh.

so your saying even if i say i cut 3 coils off a set of big block springs it will still be the same height? i don't get it? :confused:

6. courier11sec

courier11sec Member

Vehicle:
    '72 2d to hold my trailer down with.
    Derrick, keep in mind a spring is just a twisted up torsion bar and the shorter you go, the less it will act like a spring and the more it will act like a chunk of metal shoved between your control arm and spring tower. If I were doing a road race car, I'd look into some progressive rate springs from H&R or someone like that. If you call them and give them the dimensions, weight front and rear, and how you want the car to behave.
    I've even heard tale of custom wound springs being pretty affordable.

7. Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    makes sence... so you think that i would have to cut more on a big block spring then a small block spring? and basicly should just get the small block ones in the first place.

eibach also has some progressive ones but they have like 1000s to choose from and i'm not kidding.. so i really don't know where to start! i spoke with the guy at eibach and he said just tell him what i need. but i really don't know what to tell him. i mean what is stock diameter and dimensions to a stock spring? what rate to i ask him for? i really don't want to pull the stock ones out and measure them and have the car sitting around waiting for springs to come.

i'd love to get that coil over set up but not quite in the budjet for that right now.

anways i want this thing to not oversteer too much. right now the thing just dives in the corner and the rear feels a bit loose. any suggestions on a size or even a part number for in an H&R?

thanks

8. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    Cutting 3 coils would cause problems, as it would severely limit suspension travel and and the car will ride like there's no suspension at all. They are already stiff as hell and cutting coils even moreso increases the "effective" spring rate. It may cause alignment problems as well. Seriously, there is really no point in puting big-block springs into a car with a small-block...

9. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    Any new info on this. I was just researching springs. I currently have 6 cyl spings cu t1.5 coils on my 302. I like the ride hight but the front end bounces too much. I would like to put in a stiffer bring so it will handle better but do not want to gain any ride hight. Anyone have any ideas.

10. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    "Bounces too much"? What kind of shocks are you running and how old are they?...

11. Max Power

Max Power Vintage Ford Mafia

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick, 1969 Mustang Sportsroof, 1970 Mustang Grande Project
    Any vintage Mustang performance spring will work. I have the 550lb springs from Mustang Depot.