5.4" vs 5.315"Rods

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by cityboy, Aug 13, 2003.

1. cityboy

cityboy Member

Vehicle:
    73 maverick
    Could anyone let me know what they think about their 347 or 331 kits.
    Wether it be a 5.4 or a 5.315 347.
    Also I hear that the 5.315 piston is a little on the short side and a little bit of detonation can break the top piece off because it is so thin.
    Not that it is true, I am going on hear say.
    Thanks Steve

2. MaverickGrabber

MaverickGrabber MaverickGrabber1972

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber 393w
    think probe is the ones that came up with that to keep the pin out of the oil ring shorter rod longer piston

3. cityboy

cityboy Member

Vehicle:
    73 maverick
    Yes I think so,
    But does that make the top of that piston vulnerable?
    I read that it did.
    Thanks Steve

4. slowcomet

slowcomet Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Comet
    A 331 is a much more durable on the street motor. 1.66 to 1

A 347 will make more power at the dragstrip but probabily wont last 50,000 miles on the street 1.59 to 1

I even thought about getting a scatt 3.10 crank and just building 316 with the 5.4 rod for a 1.74 to 1 ratio, that is even better than the stock rod stroke ratio 1.70 to 1

5. CometGT1974

CometGT1974 Gearhead

Vehicle:
    74 Comet GT
    Unless you are building a purpose built race motor that every last detail needs to be observed, I think rod ratio is not as important as other things to consider!!!

6. slowcomet

slowcomet Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Comet
    This just shows your total lack of understanding on the effects of changing the rod stroke ratio. This is critical to engine longevity and what RPM an engine eficently makes power.

7. K. Merring

K. Merring Regular

Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT
    Guys if I just said that, a lot of people would be offended but yes there is pros and cons involving rod to stroke ratios.
    This gets into piston side thrust in the bore, it changes the optimun cam profile, it has an effect on intake port volume needed and a number of other aspects.
    For those who care to lean more about this, take a look at this website.
    http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/rod-tech-c.htm.
    This will get you up to speed in understanding the subject.

8. MaverickGrabber

Vehicle:
    how about a 354 stroker see the kits dont hear much on them

9. CometGT1974

CometGT1974 Gearhead

Vehicle:
    74 Comet GT
    Like I said, unless you are building a "professional" all out racing motor that every last bit of HP is needed there are other things that are more important than rod to stroke ratio. Maybe a better understanding of engine building in general would take your "slow comet" to something like mine, "a fast comet". :D I stick by what I say and for what most people around here are doing there are more important things to consider before you start over analyzing rod to stroke ratio!!!!! "period"

10. K. Merring

K. Merring Regular

Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT
    For the record here, I am not defending what setup is used except to say that if an engine is taken down more often than a street only version, then some of the negitive attributes can be tolerated without a problem during the freshening process; where cost would be a factor.
    But then I don't follow and do what everyone else always does. I think for my self based on information and fact,
    and get fine results.
    Next project is 550 hp 351W. No stroker here.

11. slowcomet

slowcomet Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Comet
    If you are going to build a stroker engine you should be very concerened about the rod stroke ratio. It is critical to have it correct for a stroker engine. Not all strokers are built equally.

But if you are building a stock stroke motor, your time and money would be better spent worring about other aspects of your engine. Maybe you have a point 74 but he is building a stroker engine.

A 347 with a 5.4 rod has a rod stroke ratio of 1.59 to one
    there are only 2 factory V8 ever made with shorter ratios.
    the 400 small block chevy and a 454 chevy and neither of those engines can rev up althouth a 454 can make good power. It was designed because 427 could not pass smog requirements and still make power.

Most other factory performance engines have a very different rod stroke ratio

302 ford 1.70 to 1

Boss 302 1.72 to 1

351 Windsor 1.71 to 1

327 chevy 1.75 to 1

383 dodge 1.88 to 1

440/426 Hemi dodge 1.80 to one

Its your choice

12. CometGT1974

CometGT1974 Gearhead

Vehicle:
    74 Comet GT
    proving a point!!!!!

Here is a little exert taken from one of my favorite high performance Ford books, it is referenced at the bottom of the page. I think this is great support for my opinions on rod ratio......

Rod Ratio Theory-

“We’re discussing the issue of rad ratio, a subject that has about as many opinions as there are engine builders. The current thinking is that longer rods are always better, but it’s not that simple. Any engine combination is a compromise, and component selection depends on what kind of use the engine is being built for. In the mix of heads, cam, headers, and displacement,
    there are other components that are higher on the ladder of performance importance that rod ratio. Here’s two opinions on the subject from Coast High Performance and Probe Industries. First, what is a rod ratio? The ratio results when the connecting rod length is divided by the stroke. Rod length is measured from the center of the big end to the center of the small end. A longer connecting rod, the theory goes (and tests support), allows the piston longer dwell time (in crank degrees) at TDC, so the expanding gases have a longer period (in crank degrees) to push on the piston. The higher the ratio numerically, the better it is considered. The better the ratio, the more power the engine is theoretically capable of . Unfortunately, engine reality gets a little muddy, particularly if you pursue rod length to the exclusion of all other engine facets. The chart nearby lists the rod ratios for Ford engines and CHP stroker kits.

Displacement Length Stroke Rod Ratio

221 flathead stock 7.00 3.75 1.86
    292 Y-block, stock 6.324 3.30 1.91
    312 Y-block, stock 6.252 3.44 1.81
    221 stock 5.115 2.87 1.78
    289 stock 5.115 2.87 1.78
    302 stock 5.090 3.00 1.69
    302 CHP long rod 5.70 3.00 1.90
    317 CHP stroker 5.40 3.10 1.74
    347 CHP stroker 5.40 3.40 1.58
    355 CHP stroker 5.50 3.48 1.58
    377 CHP stroker 6.125 3.60 1.70
    351W/5.8L stock 5.956 3.50 1.70
    351W CHP long rod 6.125 3.50 1.75
    408 CHP stroker 6.125 4.00 1.53
    426 CHP stroker 6.125 4.17 1.46
    435 CHP stroker 6.25 4.20 1.48
    351C stock 5.78 3.50 1.65
    428 FE stock 6.48 3.98 1.63
    4.6L Modular 5.933 3.54 1.67
    5.4L Modular 6.657 4.165 1.59

Notice that a long rod with a stock stroke, like the CHP 302 long rod, smartly increases the rod ratio. But also observe that when stroke as well as the rod length increase, ratio declines numerically.
    Muddiness about rod ratio influence occurs from several points. Consider the 221 Flathead and the 221 Windsor. The flathead has a terrific rod ratio compared to the Windsor. Yet the flathead was factory rated at 85 horsepower (at 3800 rpm) whereas the original 221 was rated at 145 horses (at 4400 rpm). Obviously, there are many reasons why the 221 windsor makes more power, such as more efficient breathing due to its valve-in-heads and lower frictional horsepower loss because of its short stroke. The 292 and 312 Y-Blocks have excellent rod ratios, yet they were never highly regarded as performance engines in their day. Also note that a 428 FE has a so-so ratio, but no one would accuse the 428 of being short on power and torque. Likewise, 426 or 435 Chp strokers have the worst ratios, yet they make serious horsepower. Look at the world class Modular engine rod ratio. Considering the billion or two that Ford spent developing the Modular engine, it’s a poor ratio numerically. But that doesn’t keep a 4.6L four-valve from delivering 600 horsepower with the right parts. The fact is , engines with supposedly poor rod ratios can make excellent power with the right parts combination. According to CHP, displacement is always a trump card. If you compare a long rod 302 (5.700" center-to-center length) with a 347 (5.400" center-to-center length) with displacement being the only difference, the 347 will make more power. As CHP explains, when a customer mashes the pedal on a 347, he fells the power compared to a 302 long rod engine. If CHP wanted to, they could increase their 347 rod length from 5.400" to 5.800" to improve the rod ratio from 1.58 to 1.70. But doing that would compromise piston stability in the cylinder due to the piston’s very short skirt and tight ring pack. These conditions would result from pushing the piston pin further into the piston to accommodate extra rod length.

Ultimately, the question may be posed: how much more power should an engine with a good ratio make compared to one with a so-so rod ratio?? Compare a 302 with stock rods (5.090" center-to-center) with a long rod 302 (5.700" center-to-center) and the long rod will have a broader torque curve. But according to CHP, the change in rod length accounts for only about a 2 percent increase in torque. That means 98 percent of the engine’s power is the result of other components and engine dynamics.

A second take on ratios is offered by Probe Industries, makers of Windsor performance pistons and engine components. Instead of focusing strictly on the issue of piston dwell, their theory relates to cylinder head airflow. The bigger the head ports are, the shorter the rod should be. One example would be a 351C with four barrel heads. They continue explaining that if you have a 327 cubic inch displacement, with a head that flows, say, an extremely good 320 cfm, they believe that a shorter rod gets air flowing through the port sooner, enhancing cylinder fill in the lower rpm range.

Going up in displacement, if you have 400 cubic inches and heads that flow 200 cfm, work on a long rod. This will delay air movement in the port and flatten your torque curve. Along these lines, CHP also observes that long rod engines are especially to racing classes where induction is limited to stock heads, intake manifold or two-barrel carbs.

If your engine runs in an extremely high rpm range, increase the rod length. One stellar example is the rarefied engine building atmosphere of Winston Cup racing, where every part and part relationship, including rod ratio, is a critical consideration. But don’t forget that in any given race class with a displacement limit, the engine builders build their engines as close as possible to the limit.

Probe also lists additional points influencing rod ratio considerations. The include cam grind, track characteristics, car weight and traction characteristics, etc. Not that most of these are race related.

Ultimately, for street use, rod ratio us way down on the list of engine things to be concerned about, particularly if you have just started building engines or racing. There are more critical areas to focus on. This would include assembling a well matched induction system, exhaust and cam to produce maximum power. With an EFI application, fuel and ignition mapping would be more productive to producing power gains. When studying engine dyno sheets for torque numbers, Volumetric Efficiency, Brake Specific Fuel Consumption numbers and exhaust gas temperatures are areas to investigate for improvement before ever worrying about rod ratio.

Probe closes its comments with this observation. Talk to professional engine builders and parts manufacturers. They build, dyno and race engines constantly, so they’re always testing and comparing combinations. If they can fine tune a particularly potent rod ratio, you can bet they’ll let their customers know. Summed up, the saying “You can’t beat cubic inches” is unlikely to ever be replaced by “You can’t beat a numerically high rod ratio.”“

HP Books, Ford Windsor Small Block Performance, The Berkley Publishing Group, Isaac Martin

Last edited: Aug 17, 2003
  13. Lightning

Lightning Member

Vehicle:
    1971 comet GT
    My fingers hurt just reading that .

14. MaverickGrabber

Vehicle:
    has to be a paste and copy :D

15. bossmav

bossmav Drag racing nut

Vehicle:
    74 Grabber now Pearl white
    just my .02

Sorry MaverickGrabber, but I agree with CometGt1974. First I would look at cam and stall, here is a very important match if you are going to run a auto trans. Pistons, are you using this for the street more then drag. Heads,same question as before. Headers, what flow do you need? Carb and intake (duel plane has better bottom end) to match everything else. Most of todays kits are very good and lets be real here if you want to go fast and Cityboy is on a mission, then worry about your ass kickin 347 block sideload in 50,000+ miles. Cityboy build a motor to run and get your job done, it's going to take a while for rod ratio to come into play.

As stated just my .02

Terry Gates
    AKA Bossmav