C4 transmission help

Discussion in 'Technical' started by EFIMAV, Oct 2, 2005.

1. EFIMAV

EFIMAV Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick, FRPP 5.0, AOD, 3.80 equaloc
    Bolting up a small bell housing C4 to a 5.0 roller block. I bought the small flexplate with 50oz imbalance but the block plate interferes with the weight on the flexplate. Did ford make a small bell housing block plate for the 50oz flex plate? Or can I run it without the block plate? I can't remember, but I think there is a problem if the block plate is not used.

2. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    You need the plate .... I would think the weight should be sitting below the level of the contact area between the crank and flexplate ... Something doesn't sound right ...

[​IMG]

3. EFIMAV

EFIMAV Member

Vehicle:
    DM, the weight is contacting the "sheet metal" spacer that is between the trans bellhousing and the block. When looking at the newer (larger) spacer it is designed to clear the weight. Our problem is that we are using a small flex plate and 50oz imbalance with a 74 spacer. I need to know of ford made a spacer with clearance for the larger weight.

4. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    I'm kinda confused .... the spacer is just a flat piece of metal ... not sure how it could be interfering .. you are talking about this correct? ... In the flexplate picture above the side facing up goes against the crank and the plate. There are two steps on the flexplate to clear everything ... Perhaps you need a different flexplate ... maybe the weight is too thick.

[​IMG]

5. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Depending on the converter make and size, I rarely use the block plate. If there is at least 1/8th to 3/16th's space between the converter mounting face and the flex plate before bolting it up, then you should be fine without it. Have used an aftermarket race converter that needed that extra clearance with the block plate, but just made a shim to go between the bellhousing and pump mounting bolts. Worked great for years. I think you got a extra large balance weight on your flex plate for some reason.

6. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    Mine fit with no issues (same setup, running a TFI 50oz flexplate from Jegs.) I used the block plate (thanks again Craig :D).

7. EFIMAV

EFIMAV Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks for all of the help. I wondered if the block plate was necessary. DM, I posted this for a friend so I'll confer with him again. I can see what you are saying about the flex plate. He purchased an aftermarket plate from Jegs. The weight is the same "size" as the newer (factory) large 50OZ flex plate weight. So, it should work. Thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005