Desert Mavericks.......Sand Box

Discussion in 'Other Automotive Tech & Talk' started by Ryan, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick, 70 F-100, 68 F-100, 02 Crown Vicoria
    Well since the 2000 post thread died and seemed to annoy some guys lets start a new one here. I designate this thread the Sand Box for my fellow Desert Maverick guys.

So lets see who is up to what. Who needs help or parts? Who is going racing or to a show? Is Tony's car running?

2. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    Just got the Comet back and all the rust repaired.
    Went to a Memorial Day car show in Show Low. No Mavericks or Comets. But some nice cars anyway. :)

3. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    Hey Don, did they do paint work on the comet too or just the metal work? Now you have alot of work ahead getting both cars put back togethor. Hopefully you will have one put togethor in time for the fall meet. If not you will have to bring the race car.

4. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    Don't worry. I have another car, but if it is going to be at the track I'll bring the race car. I'm supposed to get the engine back for this one early next week. I've already gotten 2 rebuilt trannies back. We'll see where we are. This one is Ruth's.:)

5. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    It must be too hot for the AZ. guys to even get on the board these days. Except for Don and myself I havent seen any of the guys in a while. Maybe I need to start a thread in the general section about setting up a meet, that will grab their attention. Dont make me do it..........

6. MNTony

MNTony aka Godzirra

Vehicle:
    72 Turbo FI Maverick, 2006 GMC Sierra Duramax 4x4, 2014 Ford Mustang GT 4spd
    Yeah, I don't usually look at many of the daughter boards on here. I just stick to the General, technical and drag racing.

It's funny, but I haven't actually started my car since the last gathering on Central. I tried last week only to find that my floats were sticking again, so I had the carb down for repairs. Then I pulled the transmission to refresh it. I should have that back together this weekend.

My parents where trying to get me to go up to Prescott for the upcoming car show next weekend, but I had to pass. I've got the car show here locally at Radiant church right around the corner from my house. I've wanted to be a part of that one for the last 5 years, but never had the car together. (Well technically it's not together right now...but you know that story.) So this is my first opportunity to be involved in that one. I'm hoping to take home the large giant trophy, so none of you dang Maverick guys show up and one up me!!! LOL Just kidding, I'd love to see any of you out there that would like to join me.

7. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    When is that show at Radiant? I havent had my car out since we went to the track. Still need to fix my fuel problem but wont take long. I think ive earned a couple hours in the garage and a little maverick time since Ive been so busy lately. Maybe even get my truck cleaned up and on the road if it gets too hot for the Maverick.

8. MNTony

MNTony aka Godzirra

Vehicle:
    It starts at 8am (they suggest you get there before that though) and goes until 2pm. Radiant Church is at Paradise (between Greenway and Bell) just off of Reems. The show is $20 if preregistered and $25 at the gate to show, but free to be a spectator. It is on the 19th (fathers day). They've always had some pretty large turnouts and I don't expect this one to be any different.

9. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    How was the show Tony?

10. MNTony

MNTony aka Godzirra

Vehicle:
    It was a great time. Since I was the only Maverick out there it got a lot of attention. I had no less than 5 people come up to me and say that their first car was a Maverick. So I had to ask the inevitable question, what ever happened to it. And at least four of them told me either they wrecked it, or one of their siblings wrecked it. Cracked me up! I suppose back in the late 70's early 80's these were disposable cars and they were handed down to the youngest in the family. Usually to the poor cars demise. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the suspensions and brakes had a part in the carnage, but I thought it humorous.

So how was the plane flying? It was a bit windy at the show and I was wondering how it was going with you.

11. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    Plane flying was not too good. Got there around nine just as the wind picked up. It was calm when i left my house and was hoping to beat the wind that was suppose to come later in the day. I only made 3 flights, against better judgement but I was determined. It wasnt so much me flying the plane, it was me Anti Crashing. My dad and Brother said they werent going to fly while i was on my way there. But I got there and told my bro i was going to fly no matter what so he came out with his Corsair and dad came to watch the potential carnage. Luckily no damage but didnt get to do much.

12. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    Well its officially time for the 2 month hibernation from driving cars without A/C. My Mav and truck will be sittign for a while. Well they have been sitting already for months but that was by choice I guess.

But I have a new project to tinker with and collect parts for. My brother and I picked up a 1992 Mustang 5.0 LX 5 speed for $500. It need alot of interior trim, tailights, ECU, and clutch cable. I'l be rounding stuff up from my Mustang club guys and tinkering with it as we have time. should be a fun car to drive once we get it back on the road.

So what have you other Desert guys been doing?

13. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    Ruth and I just loaded the trailer with a neighbors belongings that they put in storage when they moved to Oklahoma. We'll be leaving for the MCG gathering next Friday and stopping by their place to drop it off. And then on to Kentucky. :)

14. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    What nice guy Don. Have fun at the Roundup. Maybe one day I'll get to attend one of these big events. Just need a bigger truck, a trailer, and some more $$$$$

15. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    Not going to the Roundup. We're going to the MCG Gathering in Somerset, Ky. :)