steering gear adjustment

Discussion in 'Technical' started by lightspeed, Mar 27, 2013.

1. lightspeed

lightspeed Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Mercury Comet GT , - 2003 Mercury Marauder...
    i have a 71 comet gt v-8 , that was a factory power steering car from the factory... i removed the power steering pump , all hydraulic lines , and the power cylinder , installed a manual steering adapter , that has the spring inside of it..

i had the car aliment done , and the shop said all my suspension and tie-rods where all good and in spect,s . but when i drive my car , i still have to compensate for the steering wheel by moving it left to right in small amounts.. to keep the car straight...

my friend sugested that my steering gear , is a little worn and could use a adjustment.

the adjustment in the book is a little compalicated , but this is how he said to adjust the steering gear , and i would like to know what he said was correct or wright or would work or cause damage , or any other opinions.

he said losen , sector shaft adjustment screw , the locking-nut and turn the slot-flat screwdriver about a 1/4 turn clockwise and then lock the locking -nut. go for a drive and see if it tightens the steering wheel play , left-right or makes it worse , if it makes the steering wheel left-right movement worse. unlock nut and go counter-clookwise , and keep little adjustments like a 1/4 turns at a time until sloop is out of steering wheel.. he said this only works if all your suspension is with in spect,s and to only adjust locking screw in small adjustments , because u could do damage over adjusting steering gear..

i was wondering about this theroy and adjustment, or is it time , that i pull out the steering gear box and send it off to be rebuilt some where , imangine it is the original since 1971 and never been serviced before

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    I installed one of these and had the same problem...went to a...manual drag link and pitman arm...('70 donor car)...:thumbs2:

3. lightspeed

lightspeed Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Mercury Comet GT , - 2003 Mercury Marauder...
    i thought the 70 maverick had diffrent suspension set up then the 71 maverick and comets that came after ( 1970 ) did yose a 70 manual center drag link with a 70 pitman arm , on a 71 mavercik , comet , or a combination of 71 manual center link , with 70 pitman arm???? thanks for the help!!!!!!!

4. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 250 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    NCFatBoy likes this.
  5. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    a 70 manual center drag link with a 70 pitman arm...on a '73 Maverick...

6. 74merc

74merc computer nerd

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    I have one of those adapters that isn't spring loaded. No issues and much tighter steering than the stock setup.

I don't know why they would make the replacement spring loaded if it was no longer the control for the power steering.