drive shaft and U joints

Discussion in 'Technical' started by its_not_safe, Apr 29, 2004.

1. its_not_safe

its_not_safe Member

Vehicle:
    1973 2dr Maverick 302c my other car got stolen!!
    How do i know what size DriveShaft i need to get? I am thinking of an Ford Racing Alum. Driveshaft but dont know what size i need to get. And Second i need to replace the u joints that hook up to them what type do i need? and how do i take the one out of the rear axel? All mine busted going down the steet parts where flying lost controle when my back pasenger tire blew! but its all good now got the mav home and trying to find some money for me to use.. Thanks Marc

2. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    Marc,

Wow. Glad to hear you're okay. Sounds like an exciting time.

I believe the length of the d/s is taken from the rear face of the tranny tail-shaft HOUSING to the center of the u-joint bearings.

Your d/s fabbers would probably be the ones to call and ask to make sure. They should also know the diameter you need for your application.

This is the way I'd go about it anyway. That way, if something doesn't fit right, they wont' charge you out the kazoo to make it right.

'Luck

3. daydreamer

daydreamer Mavmenace

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick
    drive shaft length

Heres how i do mine. Slide the front yolk into the back of the tranny. Its the part that holds the front U- Joint. On the yolk you will see aplace where its shiney and dull. There is a line made by the rear seal. slide the yolk in to that line. let the rest of the broken drive shaft sit on the ground. Measure from the centre of the front U-Joint(where the grease fitting is)to the centre of the rear U-Joint where it goes in the chunk.The chunk has a half moon shape on 2 sides for the U-Joint cups to sit in. then you would measure this distance and report this to the guy who is giong to build your drive shaft. he needs the centre to centre of the joints to deturmine how long it needs to be. Dont forget to give him the broken drive shaft. he needs the front yolk to put on your new driveshaft and tell him to make sure he balances the drive shaft. Hope this works for you Ron

4. its_not_safe

its_not_safe Member

Vehicle:
    1973 2dr Maverick 302c my other car got stolen!!
    i was thinking of doing this just in one day. well maybe two i have monday and tuesday off so i well probley do it then i can still use the old one i had when i first got the car it well still work.. Thanks for the info guys..Marc