What's a Maverick?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Mad_Cow, Aug 31, 2011.

1. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    I get it all the time around here. These cars vanished up (literally) here decades ago. I also get a ton of people who have Mav stories for me though. The older folks know these cars. They were everywhere when they were newer.
    Best one was a cop that pulled up along side at a busy intersection. Thought he was goin to bitch about my exhaust. He smiles and says nice car. What is that thing. I laughed and said Ford Maverick. He says never heard of it. He was early twenties I'd guess. So me being the smart ass says how would you radio it in then? He just laughed and said I dunno know.

2. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    On the trip to the Gathering we stopped at a rest stop and had a guy come over and ask if he could take some pictures of mine. HE knew what it was. :)

3. Resto

Resto Benders Evil Twin

Vehicle:
    73 Mav Buckets(69 351W, soon to be 408) Floorshift FXBDY AOD ,07 Glide,06 E250HA,01 Silverado
    I think the most frustrating thing for me is buying parts. The person behind the counter always says "A what? you meen mustang.":mad:

4. GOODOLEBOY84

GOODOLEBOY84 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 GRABBER MILDLY BUILT 302 C4 8 INCH
    i think its very funny that people dont know what a maverick is, esp. the younger generations, im on 27 but i live eat and sleep fords so its kinda in my blood. lol, last time i was at the drag strip a guy in his younger twenties came over to me and said nice car what is it, i replied a maverick! he said who makes it, i said ford, he had this dumb look on his face, my buddy just laughed and he is a mopar fan

5. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I had my car at a indoor show a few years ago.
    Some guy walks up, with his girlfriend...he's standing there telling her all about the car, then he looks over at me and says "You must know a lot about AMC's"....I said" Nope, not much, this is a Ford" He turned bright red, turned around and walked away...and left his girlfriend standing there.....
    I was at a cruise night one time, and my daughter came, she was getting cold. It was at a mall, so I went in and bought her a sweater. The kid working the cash asked me if we were at the cruise, I said "yes" and then he asked what I was driving..I told him "a Maverick", then he said "Cool, what's that??" I told him to look it up on the internet when he got home....

6. Red1972Grabber

Red1972Grabber Hangtown Hot Rods-NorCal

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber, 2001 Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible, 1989 Toyota Pick-Up Truck(daily driver)
    Usually wherever I go everybody knows I have a Maverick. But many people are like, "what's a Grabber"? I can say it has never been mistaken for anything else, at least not to my face.
    I was driving down Main Street with the windows down, in the small town that I live in, when I hear this teenage kid say to his buddy "Dude, check out that Maverick!" I thought it was cool that a teenager knew what it was.

7. TommyGun1928

TommyGun1928 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I alway get "what year Camaro is that?" my ansewer is it's a Maverick Grabber, then the next question is "what is a Maverick and who makes it". I've had a few older guys come up and say "that's a beautiful Maverick I had one once, then look over to their wife and say you made me sale mine. Kind of a awkward moment.

8. zorares

zorares Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick
    well, I've only been driving my maverick for 2 days now but so far everyone has nailed the car. 1 guy at the Autozone that said as I parked, "that's one clean looking Maverick you've got there." 2 guys at the gas station, 1 guy at 7-11 who asked if I had a 302 under the hood and then gave me the thumbs up when I started the car to leave. Then there were the 3 guys working outside where one hit his friend and pointed at me as I drove by. I remember in 1983 where no one liked my Maverick. Now people come up and just oooh and aaah.

9. b_ryce70Mav

b_ryce70Mav Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    My boss looked out the window the other day and said "Who the hell drives that Vega?!?"

10. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    You are so right. :thumbs2: You will get the odd jerk who snubs it though, I guarantee it.

11. Milehighclub

Milehighclub Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302V8
    Lots of people gave me crap when I told them I had bought a 1973 Maverick. They knew I was looking to buy a 73 Dart, Duster, Cuda or other 73 but when I came back with the Mav they said "you bought a what?" That made me instantly know I made the right decision :) Although they made a ton of Mavericks I haven't seen any in Rockford or near by yet and I get a ton of people who know what it is though or said they had one back in the day. Usually I just get a thumbs up or nice car. I'm hoping to see some other Mavericks in a few weeks at the Beloit car show.

12. Mad_Cow

Mad_Cow Member

Vehicle:
    "Madison"-1972 Maverick

:thumbs2:

And Seriously.. what's a comet? :D

13. Vitor Castro

Vitor Castro Member

Vehicle:
    Brazillian Maverick Super 2.3 OHC '76
    Very fun the comments!!!

Now, I understand what is a Maverick in America...

In Brazil, Maverick is more known than in the USA, because here we had a few american style's car... Galaxie, Dart, Maverick, and F100 only.
    The oldest people almost always talk: Nice Maverick... I had one... I had 3... I had 17!!! (In the middle 80s and 90s, Mavericks were very cheap here).

Nowadays, Maverick is expensive... a runs good 4 or 6cyl car , not perfect, costs about $10.000 and a V8 about $19000.

The newest guys, and the people that not understand much, says:
    "Nice Chevette!" ( a compact GM car, very popular here... existed in America too, do you know?)
    "Nice Opala!" ( a Chevy's rival, Opel Rekord's based, Chevy Nova's style and Impala's 230-250 6cyl engine... Op+ala)
    "Has a Opala's engine?" (very commom...)
    "Wow, a Transformers car!!" ( my Mav is yellow... kids told this)
    "Maverick is from FIAT?" (a girl asked)

14. socalcomet

socalcomet Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    Back then there were 5 chevettes on every corner. Now they are rarely seen, kind of a throw away car.

15. Red1972Grabber

Red1972Grabber Hangtown Hot Rods-NorCal

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber, 2001 Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible, 1989 Toyota Pick-Up Truck(daily driver)
    I don't think I'd want to drive a car named Opala. That means "oops" in German.