1988 t-bird 302??

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by 754dr., Mar 9, 2002.

1. 754dr.

754dr. 2dr. want to be

Vehicle:
    1975 Ford Maverick 4Dr power stearing, breaks w/disc, and a/c
    Ok well I put this post on the last fourm, but now it is unabled!! This is better though keep up the good work!!

Any how here is my question, will a 1988 302 bolt on to a 302 c-4, and be able to put in to a maverick, just the same as regular 302 would??? I have a 250 in my car now, I know I will need the manaifolds from a maverick and the oil pan out of a 302 maverick,a nd a new distrubitor, and such, but will the 1988 302 bolt on a c-4 and work???

Thanks!!

2. FredH

FredH Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick
    It will bolt up to a C-4 and into a maverick as any 302 would. It will also accept the manifolds. A couple of things to consider however. First, you will need an oil pump pickup for the front sump oil pan that is required for the maverick. Next, the oil dipstick on the later blocks is on the side of the block. The dipstick must be removed and the hole capped off and a timing chain cover with the dipstick provision must be installed. Then there is the issue of using the corrrect balancer for the C-4. It must be balanced to match the crankshaft balance (there are several aftermarket flywheels available). There early 302 and the 5.0 distributors are not interchangeable as the shafts are different lengths (if the one in the 5.0 is fine I would recommend using it). If you are staying with the fuel injection, then you must put in the appropriate electric fuel pump. If you are going with a carburetor then any 302 intake will bolt on. Finally, you will need a standard rotation water pump if you are doing away with the serpentine system.

All of this may seem like a lot but it really is not that bad at all. These parts are not that expensive and can be changed in a couple of hours if the engine is already on the stand.

I may have left a few things out but am sure others on the board will fill in the blanks.

Good luck.

3. comrick317

comrick317 Banned

Vehicle:
    1976 Mercury Comet
    Where are these guys and do they still own Mavericks

4. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    In my dreams.

5. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    LMAO!!! the master of the zombie thread!!!!

6. comrick317

comrick317 Banned

Vehicle:
    1976 Mercury Comet
    That was fun , eh.:biglaugh::p(y)

The thread that time forgot.