Another 9 inch interchange question

Discussion in 'Technical' started by HarleyGA, Feb 16, 2014.

1. HarleyGA

HarleyGA Member

Vehicle:
    73 Grabber,
    I see an ad on craigslist for a 9 inch rear end. The add says it's 57 inches from flange to flange and little else. Could this be from an early Mustang? What are the other possibilities. I'm hoping to find an axel that would be a direct bolt on. What questions should I ask when I call?

2. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    I believe that's the width of the old Ranchero or station wagon piece. You can ask for the distance between the spring perches.

3. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    Try to find out exactly what it came out of :)

4. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    The dimensions for our Mav/Comet housing only, spring perches are 43" center to center and housing flange to flange is 51 1/4".
    Early 65-66 Mustang housings are slightly wider at 52", same spring perch.
    67-70 Mustang housings are 54" with same spring perches and the 71-73 Mustang housings are 56" wide.
    Either way, if that 9" housing on CL is 57", then it is way too wide to fit our cars. Early 65-66 Mustang will fit fine, but locating a factory 9" would be quite rare, unless it is an aftermarket one. The 67-70 Mustang will work, but you will have to get rims that are offset enough to fit within the wheelwells. Ones used on 67-70 Cougars same as the 67-70 Mustang.
    Now you have the dimensions for a housing...... 43" perches and approx.
    51 1/4 to 52" for width and then there is a question as to what bearing ends, are they the small which is what our 8" uses or the big which where used for full size cars or with big block engines......
    You can also get a custom fabricated 9" housing made to OEM specs for around $300, can still use same axles from your 8" too........

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  5. baddad457

baddad457 Member

Is that 57" figure the distance from axle flange to axle flange, or the width of the housing between the flanges ? All Ford leaf sprung cars used the same 43" spring pad spacing, so if it's a car 9" then it'll bolt up, the kicker is the distance from axle flange to axle flange.

6. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    If it is 57" from axle flange to axle flange (outside face of where rim mounts onto the axle), then it is the same as our Mav/Comet. You would then have to check and measure that the spring perches are 43" center to center distance. One other thing to check is the bolt circle on the axles, 5 bolts on 4 1/2" circle, providing this 9" does come complete with axles.....then the questions, what was it in, is this OEM or aftermarket/modified, gear ratio, posi or non posi, how many splines on axle 28 or 31 or other, does it come with brakes, then you have to check to see how much, if any play there is, the list can go on and on.........good luck!

perhaps you could post the link to that Craigslist ad for us to see, maybe can give you better info before you purchase.......

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  7. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    That's what I have in mine. Had the rear wheels widened 2" towards the inside so now they are 15 x 8 with 6" back space.

8. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    That's good to know, since I'm working a deal on one out of a 68 Mustang.

9. HarleyGA

HarleyGA Member

Vehicle:
    73 Grabber,
    Thanx to all. Lots of great information. I was confused about how overall width was measured. Good to know the center to center width of the spring perches but do they all accommodate the same width spring? Finding a nine inch with the right dimensions has so far been tough. I don't really care about the axle shafts, unless they are 31 splines. Same goes for the center chunk since this will be replaced with a 3:55.

10. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    another option, you can check out this link:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Inch-Ford-Rearend-Axle-Housing-65-66-Mustang-Axle-Rear-End-/221248278358?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item33836ccf56&forcev4exp=true

I had my 9" custom made by this same fellow to the exact same specs as our Mav/Comet that I first mentioned earlier. Totally brand new, excellent quality and built to take whatever you throw at it, much stronger than any OEM stuff. You can also have complete packages made up, so just check out their site.
    Finding something used is great, but you really have to check out that everything is OK, who knows what kind of abuse it has been through and sometimes it is better just buying new.
    Spring perches pretty much all the same and will work with all of our Mav/Comet leaf springs. Passenger cars, like early Mustang/Cougars etc., will work fine, but watch out for ones in early Bronco's since their perches where attached to top of axle tubes, passenger are attached to the bottom of the tubes.

11. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    I bought a lot of my 9 inch parts from him also for my project - really great service and prices :)

12. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I'll second that, these guy make nice stuff! I've helped install a few, and the quality is awesome.

13. HarleyGA

HarleyGA Member

Vehicle:
    73 Grabber,
    Thanx. I may end up going with this guy. Great recommendations.

14. RASelkirk

RASelkirk Retired!

Vehicle:
    Sonic Blue '72 w/LS-1, 200R4, 9" w/3.50
    That's "Quick Performance" out of Iowa, they are great to deal with! I bought a narrowed 9" housing and axles set plus a billet side cover for my Rambler, the side cover was out of round causing the ring gear to wobble. Instead of sending me another side cover, they sent me an entire billet case. Brydon was who I dealt with...

15. EFIMAV

EFIMAV Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick, FRPP 5.0, AOD, 3.80 equaloc
    Related question

Does anyone know the dimensions of the 9 inch out of a 57 fairlane. Any idea what spline axles and bearing sizes?

Found a good website describing 9 inch differentials. Thought others may be able to use it.
    http://www.ultrastang.com/info1.php

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014