Disc brake conversion Article?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by zoojon, Nov 6, 2004.

1. zoojon

zoojon Zoojon

Vehicle:
    74' 2 Door, in progress
    OK, where is the article on the disc brake conversion? I lost all my favorites and now I can't find it. :slap:

Thanks

2. FoMoDave

FoMoDave Maverick Owner

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302 c-4,1971 Maverick 6cyl
    disc. swap

Which artical are you looking for,there are several.Go to www.fordmavrick.com and you find a very good artical on disc. brakes. Where in Atlanta are you?:) Got any pic.s of your Mav.?

3. zoojon

zoojon Zoojon

Vehicle:
    74' 2 Door, in progress
    Thanks, Actually in Auburn, GA (near Winder)

I actually had a hard copy I had printed, but still looking into it all to see what I want to do. It needs a full rebuild anyway so I figure if I spend the time and effort and money to do that I may as well go ahead and convert it over.

I do have some pics I need to get them downloaded.

Trying to get the thing at least drivable before it gets to cold since I'm working on it outside. It ran good when I got it a few months ago I just need a new gas tank, a little work on the trans, and the brakes and it should be ready to go.

4. FoMoDave

FoMoDave Maverick Owner

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302 c-4,1971 Maverick 6cyl
    I am going to start on disc. swap this week. I already have Granada spindles.Not sure which hoses to buy tho_Ordered new calipers rotors pads today,and all the suspension parts. I also am working outside and need a little trans. work.Let me know how your swap goes. It should be pretty easy.I changed a Falcon to disc. several years back.Are you going to use polyurethane bushings?What brand?

5. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    zoojon; I am the Ga. MCCI coordinator. Have you joined the club yet? Very good source of parts, information and good people, just like this board. If you could mail me and send me your name, address and phone, and an e-mail address, I can include you in my mailings. We will be having a mini-meet in April at the Fun Ford Weekend, and you are cordially invited. Let me know,

6. MapleMav

MapleMav Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
  7. zoojon

zoojon Zoojon

Vehicle:
    74' 2 Door, in progress
    MapleMav,

Thanks! That was the one.

8. zoojon

zoojon Zoojon

Vehicle:
    74' 2 Door, in progress
    Earl,
    Have not joined yet but will do so. I need all the help I can get! I will send you an email.
    Thanks

Dave, Probably going to do the gas tank first so it doesn't sit too long not running. I'm actually still trying to get the old drums off. I think the spindle may be rusted to the drum, but I'm going to give it a try again this weekend.

Jon

9. maverickman1

maverickman1 New Member

When the Maverick was introduced in 1969, it offered no power brake option. Because Ford offered disc brakes only on power-brake equipped vehicles, there was no easy way to offer a disc brake option on the Maverick. It was too cost-prohibitive to engineer disc brakes for an economy car.

In 1974, the Mustang II was introduced, and it had front manual disc brakes standard. Ford used the Mustang II caliper and master cylinder on the Maverick (with a 5-lug rotor) and offered manual discs as an option in 1974. In 1975, the Granada was introduced with power disc brakes optional. Therefore, in 1975, the Maverick got not only the Granada's power disc brake option, but the Granada's manual brake system as well. The Granada had bigger calipers and a different master cylinder. So, 1974 disc brakes are based on Mustang II & Pinto hardware, while from 1975-1977, Granada hardware was used.

This article shows how to put disc brakes on your drum-equipped Maverick or Comet.

Interchange Guide

When performing this swap, it is necessary to change spindles. The following cars have spindles that will bolt directly to a drum-equipped Maverick or Comet:

* 1974-1975 Maverick or Comet with disc brake option

* 1976-1977 Maverick or Comet (All)

* 1975-1980 Ford Granada or Mercury Monarch (All)

The Granada & Monarch may require the use of tie-rod ends from the donor car.

When the spindles are used on a manual-steering Maverick or Comet (regardless of whether the donor car was PS or not) the tie rod ends do not need to be changed. When the spindles are used on a Maverick or Comet with power steering, the tie rod ends may need to be swapped.

What You'll Need

<http://www.geocities.com/cping3/frontdisc.jpg>

You need several items from the donor car, whether it is a Maverick or not. These items are:

* Spindles

* Calipers

* Rotors

* Master Cylinder

* Tie Rod ends (optional)

* Junction Block (aka Proportioning Valve)

* Any applicable lines (master cyl to proportioning valve, etc)

* Brake hose brackets (2)

Several of these items you'll want to replace. Master Cylinders are inexpensive, but you may want to nab the donor car's to use as a core if it is cheap or free. The calipers should be replaced or rebuilt if the donor car has not been on the road recently. New brake hoses are a must. The rotors should be turned or replaced. Remember, this is your braking system, your car's most vital part!

How To

Once you select a donor car, you must remove the spindle. This job requires a cotter pin remover (or pliers), a hammer, and some big wrenches (or a big adjustable wrench). A prybar and pickle fork set will come in handy as well.

You can remove the entire assembly without taking it apart. Remove the brake line, and remove the brake hose bracket, you may need it. Remove the cotter pins & nuts from the tie rod ends and upper and lower ball joints. This is where the hammer will come in handy. You'll have to bang on the spindle (Not the ball joint) until the joint is loose from the spindle. Use the prybar and/or the pickle fork to persuade it loose. The same goes for the tie rod end.

Assembly is much simpler than disassembly. Simply bolt the new spindle onto your car. Then pack the wheel bearings and replace the rotor, caliper, and pads.

When connecting the brake lines, you may find that the line is too short. In some cases, you'll need to bend your existing hard line to match up with the disc brake hose. Use the brake hose chassis bracket you salvaged if necessary.

You need to change the master cylinder & junction block as well. Be sure to bench bleed it before installation.

NOTE: The fittings may be different on the master cylinder, junction block, or both. Be careful to note this when you get the parts. If so, you must cut the lines, install the correct fittings, and reflare. Another less-desirable option is to buy adapters.

After everything is together, bleed the system very thouroughly, because it was opened in several places. It is advisable to bleed the system until all traces of dirty fluid have been flushed out.

Your braking system will not only stop your Maverick or Comet better, but will be much more fade resistant as well. I installed 1980 Granada front disc brakes on my 1970 Maverick. If you have any questions or suggestions for this article, feel free to email me at cgoodwin0945@charter.net

I got this article from www.maverickgrabber.com. I converted mine following this article and they work fine.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  10. rlbrunson

rlbrunson New Member

Vehicle:
    1972 MAVERICK
    can i use spindals off of a 71 mustang with rotors..