Dragstrip Mav's

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Old Guy, May 20, 2002.

1. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Just thought I would pass on a little info on a fine day at the local 1000ft strip. weather was cool and dry, track was sticky, what more could one ask for. I in my 302 Fairmont had good runs but instead of running my dial of 9.44, the old girl went 9.42 and then rared up and gave a 9.36. Both breakouts cost me any wins. But in the mean time oldest son with 74 Mav 393ci and glide, was putting all comers, on the trailer. Comes down to two cars and both were Mavericks!!!!. Light comes down, I feel the adrenelin flowing too, two hard running Mav's tearing down the track side by side, engines screaming and tires a smoken. This is as good as it gets, except for one thing oldest son ran a 8.71 on a 8.76 dial. Other Mav went 8.949 on a 8.95 dial and had a 502 light. No matter it was a great race.

One other thing that makes days like that all the better is that my youngest son took our 75 street Mav with 302 and having not raced for a year, took it to a runner up finish in the street class. 11.91 on a 11.84 dial. Street tires and 3.00 rear gear. Had to run 10 races to get to the finals and his reaction time of .588 gave up the win. But what a day for Mav's and an OLD Guy.

2. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    73 LDO, 72 Sprint, 70 Grabber.
    Very impressive! I would love to see that sometime. Too bad I don't live anywhere near you. Anyway, sounds like a lot of fun.
    -Corbin

3. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    Dave,

Sounds like one of many good times to come this year at the drag strip! (break-outs: sounds like the track was starting to 'come around' and/or the temp and/or humidity was cooling down, ey? da%$ variables!).

Ya'll get 'em next time!

Rick

4. mavman

mavman Member

Vehicle:
    '75 Maverick, '03 super duty, '04 Mustang Vee-six!
    gotta love bracket racing. Possibly one of the mentally toughest sports out there. You have to think about weather, track conditions, where to line up on the line, whether or not to hit the brakes on the far end, etc. Not to mention trying to get a light--the most important aspect of brackets. Then, trying to figure out how on earth you lost a race, but still beat the other guy to the line? How about losing a race by .00001 second (done this many times)? Makes a person want to just race heads up!

5. mavman

mavman Member

Vehicle:
    '75 Maverick, '03 super duty, '04 Mustang Vee-six!
    Dad, when you gonna run the 4dr?? LOL:D