Update on brake hoses

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by mike75mav, May 14, 2002.

1. mike75mav

mike75mav Member

Vehicle:
    1975 maverick 4 door; 1971 Bronco frame off restoring
    OK
    Here is what I learned on brake hose for a 70 mav. I had to find replacement for mind. Since they no longer make them I had 2 option. 1) replace front brake cylinder with a 71-73 mav 2) try to match brake hoses from another car.

Well I went junk yard shopping and found a 72 mav I took both brake cylinders off. The bad news is they did not fit on the back plate I needed to remove the back backs.

I went to plan B when I took the cylinders off I cut the brake hoses ( it was faster) I discovered that the hose for the 72 screwed into the 70 brake cylinder. All that work for nothing go figure.

So bottom line is replacement hoses for a 71-73 can replace hoses for a 70 mav. The hoses have to be longer to fit.
    The length is 14 1/2 inch long the part number is Ray BH-24280 they cost is 24.99.

I hope this helps for everyone.

2. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    some valuable experience well earned.

3. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    Good info.

Thanks Mike!

4. CometGT1974

CometGT1974 Gearhead

Vehicle:
    74 Comet GT
    My opinion

If it were me I would just have a set of Stainless braided brake lines made to replace the factory lines....I had a local hose and fitting company make mine and they work great and last much, much longer than stock lines....the cost is slightly higher than stock lines but the longevity more then makes up for the cost!!![​IMG]

5. rickyracer

rickyracer Member

Vehicle:
    66 Stang, 68 Cougar, 72 Comet GT
    hoses

Find a shop that makes hoses for hydraulic systems and have them use the hose ends and make you new hoses. Even out of steel braided hose. Well worth it. After all you're talking about stopping your vehicle.

6. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    Na, what are you talking about?! Just take the old hose ends and grab some old vaccuum line and some hose clamps and you are ready to go!!!!!(Just kidding....don't really do that)