"new" door and fender, and new colors

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by scooper77515, May 3, 2006.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    924 Mav found a couple of cars in junk yards, and about 6 months ago, I scored a mostly straight passenger door and fender from a 71-ish comet. They have been sitting in our "nursery" (good thing I don't have any kids at this point :D ) until a week or so ago.

My original door and fender had been driven into a garage by the original owner--my wife's great grandmother (this was the last time she drove it before they put it up and she eventually spent a number of years in a nursing home soon afterwards). They were wrinkled beyond my ability to repair where the door and fender meet, as they were opened and closed for a while making a mess in that area.

The new door is much lighter, as it has no reinforcing bar for side impact. It also has no window, window crank, and inner door opening knob, at this time. I need to do some mods to the inside steel paneling to allow the 74 arm rest to mount at the top and the door handle to install down and forward of the arm rest. Other than that, reinstall the window, and on my way.

I like the lighter door, since it should add to my ET and it closes nice and smooth like a Honda door, not hard and requiring a "slam" like a heavy american door. Of course, I lose the safety for the passenger side if I ever get hit on that side, but 95% of driving is just me with the dog in the back seat.

I have used POR-15 on all inner surfaces and underneath, all areas where rust is prone to surface. I have done no straightening to the panels except for pounding out one small ding in the door and one in the fender, which needs a little more massaging.

Just thought I would post pics here and progress on my website http://home.cmaaccess.com/~scodon/april2006.htm

The lines on the door are just greasy spots from an antifreeze soaked towel I used on my saw horses to add a little cushion, and will wash off when I get to a point where I can wash it.

Any suggestions at this point would be appreciated.

Also, FIY...I heard there was going to be an issue with the headlight mounts being different, but they were exactly the same, so I was able to choose the best looking parts (least rusty) from both fenders and reassemble, after adding POR-15 to all parts. I really need to buy stock in the POR-15 company...I am almost done with my 2nd quart...love the stuff!

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  2. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Looks good!

3. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    definitely better than this!!!

4. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Looks good to me. Only suggestion I can make is to not set metal panels on rags soaked with antifreeze. :D

5. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick, 1972 grabber
    looking good scott.