Mavrick/fox body mustang suspension

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by derkzander, Dec 7, 2005.

1. derkzander

derkzander Member

Vehicle:
    1976 maverick 2door
    hey guys
    i was woundering if anyone has run fox body front and rear suspension. their is a lot of aftermarket parts like coilovers and camber plates and such. You could also get rid of the leafs in the back. do you think this is possible?

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Anything is possible but it would take some major fabrication to get it in there, especially the 4 link rear.

3. streetrod77

streetrod77 Member

Vehicle:
    77 comet
    Air Ride Tech has a rear mustang air ride system that is a link suspension. I'm thinking with some minor fab work, it can replace the leafs. I asked them about it & someone did order one for a Falcon.

4. derkzander

derkzander Member

Vehicle:
    1976 maverick 2door
    Thank you guys. Do you know of anyone who has done any mods like adjustible coilovers in the front.

5. streetrod77

streetrod77 Member

Vehicle:
    77 comet
    I can't say that I know of anyone but I'm sure its been done. There is a company that make them for the early stangs but it fits our cars too. I can't think of the company though.

6. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    73 LDO, 72 Sprint, 70 Grabber.
  7. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    You would still have to put in a spring perch. I'd just go with the mustang 2 or pinto front end. The fox suspension is fundamentally flawed. The instant center and anti-dive geometry are all screwed up. The only way to make it handle at all is to use huge tires and super stiff springs so the junk suspension doesn't move and you've turned it into a big go-kart. An aftermarket Pinto/M2 front can be made with the correct anti-dive angles and the proper length and mounting points for your car. The rear end is even worse. The uneven, unparallel bars have a nasty habit of binding up when the body rolls a lot. So if you really stuff it into a corner it will push push push push LOOSE! Not a good thing.

Currie will make a rear end housing with whatever length tubes and brackets you want. I think a 4 link with a watt's linkage on a 9 bolt would be killer. Or you could do two lower control arms and one torque arm like a third gen f body or the ranger/aerostar. Of course, now you're talking about welding in a whole new frame in the rear. Spring perches, shock points, mounting points for the control arms. Might as well mini-tub it while you're under there.

There is no magic bolt up like the fox and the early cobra IRS share.