Mustang II Front Suspension

Discussion in 'Drag Racing' started by mark460, Feb 6, 2006.

1. mark460

mark460 Member

Looking for any opinions for the best deal for a Mustang II front end suspension. I found a welded front crossmember for about $400 for a Maverick, but I would have to buy all the tubular A-arm, rack, etc., and I found some deals which are over $2000 I do have the Mustang II spindles. Any have any ideas on getting this front end together for a reasonable price? I could easily weld up a crossmember if I had one to copy and then I could buy the A-arms, rack and stuff for it.

Thanks

Mark

2. mavman

mavman Member

Vehicle:
    '75 Maverick, '03 super duty, '04 Mustang Vee-six!
    Just buy a ready-made crossmember, then add your a-arms later. Crossmembers were at one time, priced around $239. Now, the cheapest I see is $400+. I belive it was Thomas Hackmann that bought one a few years back for around $300. Welded right in...no cutting.

I went with the stock x-member, and welded all the seams, braced it all up....but again, I had to notch my original frame rails to make it fit.

As for A-arms, check ebay. There are tubular uppers & lowers that are inexpensive (which is what I used....and have had zero problems--knock on wood). You already have your spindles, so that'll save you about $300 give or take. I think I had around $1000 tied up in mine, from upper & lower a-arms, junkyard crossmember, rotors (5 lug), calipers, pads, etc. Keep in mind, it is a race car only. No street duty, but it does have to endure those wheelstands once in a while.

3. mark460

mark460 Member

I do have a complete Mustang II suspension cut from a junkyard car, but I was thinking that most of it is junk. I was considering using it, but would probably stock Mustang type of arms and not use coil overs. I didn't like the fit all that much. What did you notch out on yours to make one fit?

Thanks
    Mark