Points to HEI?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Doward, May 17, 2003.

1. Doward

Doward Member

Will that Crane digital points to electronic kit from Summit work on the 250 I6? I know its listed as a Ford V8, but what's the diff between the V8 and V6 distribs?

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I havent seen the kit but I seriously doubt it. Usually there is some kind of rotor that slides over the points cam ( or takes the place of) which will have the same number of magnet triggers as cylinders. Its very easy to convert a 6cyl to a Ford duraspark set up. Just go to a junk yard and get the distributor, coil, spark box, and wiring harness. The wiring harness will tie everything together and the only thing left is the red and white wire out of the box. Just tie these both together and run a switched 12v line to them to power it in the run position.

3. bossmav

bossmav Drag racing nut

Vehicle:
    74 Grabber now Pearl white
    Just my 2 cents

Put the extra money in your pocket because you will never see any differences from what Crane or anyone else has to offer, versus what Mavaholic has recommended. It’s easy and most junkyards will sell the complete setup for 50 to 75 dollars. (around here they do any way)

If you get a little confused just ask someone here on the board and I’m sure you will get all the help you need.

Terry Gates
    AKA Bossmav

4. tom mulloy

tom mulloy Senior Vice President

Vehicle:
    1970 Grabber
  5. Doward

Doward Member

So the Duraspark II, eh? Ok, ok... now then, the next question is -

How do I know the distributor I'm looking at, is a Duraspark II? I looked up a new distributor for a '79 Fairmont 200 I6, and it's like $60 from Advance Auto. Could I just pick up that, drop it in, and off she goes?

6. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
    No, because you need the spark module too. Thats why its easier to just change the whole thing. The duraspark is easy to identify because the dist cap is much larger dia than the points one, and the plug wires snap on the cap like a spark plug.

7. courier11sec

courier11sec Member

Vehicle:
    '72 2d to hold my trailer down with.
    Doward-

For about $75.00 you can head to your nearest Napa and pick up a pertronix conversion kit and pitch those points.
    takes about 5 or 10 minutes to install and you get to keep the small cap and everything.
    works like a champ.

8. AdamMav

AdamMav Member

Vehicle:
    Black mav with 302
    I just switched from pionts to HEI last week and I love it! I bought it off ebay brand new. it is a gm product converted to fit ford v8's. all I needed was new plug wires, or new ends if you feel like doing that.....pita. coil and module are all on the distributer and its a one wire hookup, very simple. $189 so far it's great, no complaints definate power increase. I'm just pissed at myself for not doing this sooner.

9. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
    I forgot about the pertronix. I put one in my 57 years ago. Its worth the money and as courier said, Its about as simple an install as you can get.