hei distributor

Discussion in 'Technical' started by rebelgt, Mar 11, 2007.

1. rebelgt

rebelgt Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    My son and I have a 72 comet gt with point ignition. We would like to install a hei distributor, but I read about ballast resistors and that concerns me. Is this a simple install? Also the 2v carb has no ID tag and it needs a kit all the parts shops say is without the tag it's a huge long shot on getting the right one. Any help appreciated.

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I would not say it is a "long shot" to get a carb kit for your car. The carb on your engine came on A LOT of 302's back in the 70's. If they say they still can't get you a kit without a "number"...post back here and somebody can get you one off of their carb.

3. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

take the intake off the 302... get an after market... throw on a 4 barrel carb, and get an MSD dizztributor.. an MSD 6a ignition box, MSD blaster ss coil and some MSD 8.8 igntion wires, and you will have a great running engine

4. stangclone

stangclone Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick,1965 mustang
    p.m me if you need carb numbers i have a few 1972 carbs laying around here with tags. If you want to get rid of the points a simple swap is the pertroinx kit uses the stock dizzy just know points. here is a wed site pertroinx.com. there are less than 100 and the card kit should be around 30 dollers

5. dragracer

dragracer Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    hei installation

Its a 20 minute swap. no ballast resistors . pull the cap. mark where the rotor is pointing.remove the wiring to the coil. remove the dist hold down pull out dist install new dist with rotor pointing to the same place the old one pointed. replace cap. install dist hold down. remove old coil, on the positive wire that went to the coil install a flat female connector. on the dist cap you will see 2 plugs one marked Ignition. and the other says Tach .plug the wire into the one marked ignition. start the car. , set the timing. go for a ride. 20 minutes just passed, have a beer . pat yourself on the back , you just installed your first distributor

chicago74mav likes this.