turn signal issues. need help bad please

Discussion in 'Technical' started by rigrunner, Aug 9, 2012.

1. rigrunner

rigrunner Member

Vehicle:
    1974 comet 250 inline 6 c4 auto
    my dad just bought a 74 comet. all the lights work but the turn signals. the hazards flash but the dash indicators do not blink with them. the signals do not work at all. i checked the flasher for the blinkers and it is good. all fuses are good. i ran a jumper to the single blue wire on the flasher and when the left or right blinker is selected it will light up outside the car but wont blink so i think the t/s switch is good. and also the dash indicator lights do not light up with the blinker. im stumped. wondering what could be the cause of this. the grounds all look good too. any chance the circuit board is bad in the dash and if so can i bypass this? sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

2. maverick@heart

maverick@heart Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 American Maverick, 1976 Mexican Maverick, 1973 Maverick
    I just recently had that exact issue. The flasher seemed to be good. Ichanged both flashers and the issue got corrected. How or why? Who knows!!!!

3. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Based on the info you gave us, I would guess turn signal switch. But I would rule out everything else first. Start with the bulbs.

4. x72COMETx

x72COMETx Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1972 Mercury comet GT, 1975 mercury comet (RIP), 1974 ford maverick (RIP)
    i think im going to keep an eye on this post because i have that exact same issue but i checked everything i even bought a turn signal switch for $130 and that still wasnt the problem.

5. pegleg1858

pegleg1858 Member

Vehicle:
    69 1/2 maverick
    Also check the grounds.

6. rigrunner

rigrunner Member

Vehicle:
    ok. so far ive checked all the grounds. all the bulbs light up with the hazards so i say there ok. pulled the wheel and was hoping to be able to test the turn signal switch with no luck. is there any way to check the switch? also wondering if the circuit board on the back of the intrument cluster is bad would it cause the blinkers not to work? wiring diagram looks like it connects there. im stumped. hate to buy a new switch if this ones good. thanks.

7. rigrunner

rigrunner Member

Vehicle:
    does anyone know if a older maverick t/s switch will work in a 74? my cousin has one he wrecked years ago sittin and i may can get the switsh there if it works. im gonna say its early 70s 70-72 maybe

8. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

It may work. Just depends on how it plugs into the main wiring harness. If the plugs are the same, I would say it should work.

9. rigrunner

rigrunner Member

Vehicle:
    thanks. ill get back at it next weekend. took it to get front end aligned and gotta have new tie rods so itll be in the shop next week.

10. rigrunner

rigrunner Member

Vehicle:
    got the car back today. went over all the wiring grounds and connections again and still no turn signals. im stumpeed...

11. x72COMETx

x72COMETx Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1972 Mercury comet GT, 1975 mercury comet (RIP), 1974 ford maverick (RIP)
    this might not help but when my turn signals werent working i got a new brake switch and they started working.

12. randytatum

randytatum Member

Vehicle:
    1973 comet, 2003 f150, 2011 mustang V6 1973 gran torino sport
    mine was doing the same thing but mine was the flasher thats located behind the instrument cluster (the one thats hard to get to)

13. SlopeStyleDJ

SlopeStyleDJ Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Mercury Comet
    For a 75-76 my manual specs these flasher locations.
    It sounds like he needs to look at the instrument cluster flasher.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  14. rigrunner

rigrunner Member

Vehicle:
    sorry for the long delay. as of yet still havent found the issue. dads had it for sale with no luck so ive got it back and am working on cleaning it up. did try changing the hazard flasher with the t/s flasher and still only the hazards work. idk. is there a way to put in an aftermarket set up?

15. 71Mavrk

71Mavrk Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber Clone, 1971 Maverick project
    The flasher system is a pain. Who understands it? Hell, Ford couldn’t even explain it:

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION
    DESCRIPTION
    The parking, sport, rear, side marker and stop light circuits are controlled by the headlight switch. When the headlight switch is pulled out to the first detent, only the parking lights and side marker lights come on. When the headlight switch is pulled out to the second detent, the parking lights, side marker lights, headlights and sport lights on vehicles so equipped all come on. Maverick requires activating a toggle switch in conjunction with the headlight switch for sports lights. On all vehicles except Mustang, the side marker lights also function as emergency flashers. The side marker lights on Mustang do not flash.
    OPERATION
    On Thunderbird, Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln Continental a cornering light bulb is in the same light body with marker bulb on vehicles so equipped. The cornering lights are fed from the turn signal circuit in such a way that when the turn signal switch is activated, the cornering light on the turn side will burn with a steady glow.
    All Vehicles Except Mustang
    The side marker lights are connected in parallel with the feed circuit (from the headlight switch) that feeds the minor filaments of the front parking and rear lights. Each of the four side marker lights (two on each side) completes its circuit to ground through the dormant major filament of its respective left or right front parking light. Therefore the side markers glow with the parking lights.

The side markers are on when the parking light major filament is dormant providing a ground as described in the foregoing. When the turn signals are activated however, the major filament of the turn-side parking light is fed intermittently for turn signal operation. This intermittent feed interrupts the side marker lights’ circuit to ground causing them to go off. As a result the affected side markers for the direction of turn selected will flash alternately with the front parking/turn signal lights.

The side markers on the opposite (non-turning side) will continue to glow steadily.

The turn signal system supplies an intermittent feed to the major filament of the turn-side parking light as described in the forgoing. The same circuit also supplies and intermittent feed to the side marker lights (on the turn side) but flowing in a reverse direction from that supplied by the headlight switch when it was on. The two side marker lights complete their circuit to ground through the dormant minor filament of the turn-side parking light. Thus the side markers and front parking lights flash simultaneously with each intermittent feed. The lights on the opposite side remain off.

The emergency flasher sends intermittent power to the major filaments in both parking lights, thus interrupting the ground circuits of all four side markers. As a result, all four side markers will flash alternately with the parking lights.

Yeah, did you understand that? I don’t. But, what I think it comes down to is that all of your bulbs have to work because they use each other to complete their ground circuit. So, don’t just look at the bulbs, check them for continuity. This includes the instrument bulbs and the side markers. Also, make sure the sockets are clean, make good contact and actually get power.

The flasher works in a different manner, this is probably why they work and the indicators don’t.

Micah

Attached Files:

Paul Masson likes this.