Times for Stock '72 302

Discussion in 'Drag Racing' started by JonnyRebel, May 18, 2005.

1. JonnyRebel

JonnyRebel Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 4 door, 347 stroker, c4
    Hello does anyone know what a stock '72 302 c4 2:79 4 door Maverick will run in the quarter mile?

Also what is the best way to drive an auto? I've only ever driven manuals so the auto confuses me. What the best way to launch? Should I shift 1-2-D manually?

Anyways I'm going to the track (well its an airport closed down for the day) at Saint Marys PA on June 4th.

2. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    To many variables to say what the car will run. Aside foe horsepower, there is traction issues, weight, driver skill. But from what I have heard IMO, probably a 15 second 1/4 mile.
    as far as shifting, I would leave it in drive and let the car shift itself. I would worried about (especially if its a column shift) getting excited and slinging the thing up into neutral and over revving the motor.
    Main thing is to have fun!

3. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber-Factory V8 w/3spd, 72 Maverick-351 Procharged for Strip, 71 Comet GT-331/4spd
    My stock 2-door 72 302 went about 16 sec. on a tired motor with great traction. I had a column shift and shifted manually.

4. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    My former 1973 4-door, 302 V-8, AT....all stock.....is in the drag racing time slip database.

5. JonnyRebel

JonnyRebel Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 4 door, 347 stroker, c4
    So, 16 to 17.50 sounds like pretty decent times, probably quick enough to shut up these fart can cars. :bananaman My car only has 38,300 original miles on it, so I don't think its too worn out.

I'm gonna need a new set of tire before I go though, the ones on it now just go up in smoke if i punch the gas at anything under 15 mph.

The auto still scares me, how do I know it will shift on time and not over rev the engine? :90: lol. I need to get a tach.

Anybody got any good drag racing tips for an auto Mav?

Thanks

6. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

With the street tires spinning, it will be hard to get a good time slip consistently. There are some very soft compound street tires on the market, made by Toyo, if I am remembering right. Not legal in some street radial classes though. Other than that it is a matter of practice on launch rpm's, to limit the tire spin. I always shifted my column shifter manually, seat of the pants engine rpm's, is an acquired technique with practice and good record keeping of each run. A tach would be your best bet to be more accurate. I have one with a shift lite to preset for my shift points and I also, after a lot of test and tune runs, have put a sliver of tape on the face of it to set the launch rpm for maximum grip and best reaction time for my particular power combo. A plain face tach will work if you can watch the needle and shift at certain rpm's.

The et and mph are really a secondary factor when first starting to drag race. If you can get a good lite and 60ft times, you will sometimes win against a faster car who has spun the tires and had a terrible reaction on the tree. One very important thing that a some newer racers seem to do, is stage the car to deep on the starting line. This may help reaction time a bit but will slow down the elapsed time because of the shorter roll out of the front tire. Does not sound logical until you read the whole theory of the timing lights. I would bring the car up in low gear until you lite the top(prestage bulb) then put it in nuetral, rev the engine to blow out any excess fuel and then put it back in low. With your foot on the brake, bring the engine up to pre-determined launch rpm's and then slowly ease it foward until the bottom yellow (stage light) just blinks on. Hold the car at your rpm chosen, and when you see the third yellow bulb come on launch the car. It will take that long for car and driver to react by the time the green light comes on. If they run a 400 pro tree, it is a whole different ball game, so try and use the .500 tree if they are running it, to practice on. Sorry for such a long post, but just trying to give some insight to the basics in the sport. As stated before, no matter what, have fun and keep at it, time will improve your driving and you can send the ying binger's home to the rice factory. Good luck

7. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

hey old guy...that was an awesome post....i learned something....i had no idea about the shallow stage..i had heard to go deep....i will try the shallow...and also the flush extra gas thing....i will try that as well...

thank you alot

8. 72maverick302

72maverick302 Member

I have a Hot Rod magazine from april of 71. They tested a 302 Comet, stock it ran :

17.4 @ 79.3 mph 0-60 9.9 sec

Then bolted on an autolite 4 barrel, High rise intake manifold, and jardine headers then it ran:

15.4 @ 90.9 mph 0-60 7.3 sec

But of course those times were a long time ago on not so modern tracks and tires etc etc.

9. benben

benben Member

Vehicle:
    Mav`75, 302, 2d, A/T, A/C
    My last years time was 18.04, all stock, RT 0,5.. ,60ft 2,4.. , speed 72mph.
    In this weekend I'll try again, with new headers and exhaust on.

10. tim keck

tim keck truckdrivintrailertrash

Vehicle:
    '72 Comet, '75 Maverick, '85 F150 4x4 ,'93 F150,'75 F100,'77 Jeep Wagoneer,'91 Dodge D250 Cummins,'90 F150 xtra cab 4x4, '93 F150 4x4
    My '72 comet w/82,000 302,c4 bone stock ran 10.19 1/8 & 16.56 1/4 times.

11. benben

benben Member

Vehicle:
    Mav`75, 302, 2d, A/T, A/C
    After weekend I have new 1/4 time :bananaman ;16,86 and the top speed is 86mph. the lower gear I can shift is the 2 gear (remod column shift with headers). It is the first time I try to shift myself and it was fun. I do'nt expect so hi rpm from my old lady...
    And now, ....I need more :evilsmile (intake, carb ... )