2MAE 302 crank - 50 oz or 28 oz balance?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Cleaver, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Cleaver

Cleaver Member

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    I scored a 86 parts Bronco last year that had a darn near fresh .040 remanufactured 302 in it. I pulled it apart the other day and it looks like a hybrid deal. It has a 86 roller block but had flat tappet cam. Heads were D8s.

Crankshaft is a DMAE casting. Several enging re-manufacturers specifically list DMAE crank, but dont list if this needs a 50oz HO flexplate of a early model 28oz flexplate. The trans that was in the Bronco was a big old granny low cast iron 4 speed.

Which flexplate to use? 50 or 28?

Cleaver

2. RegL404

RegL404 Member

Pretty sure it is 50oz. The 28.2oz. were 2m or 2ma.

3. Thack

Thack vision advicator

Vehicle:
    71 2 Dr Maverick, 70 Mustang Sportsroof, 77 F100 4x4, 72 maverick grabber wifes
    When Ford started making roller blocks all the 302 engine lines got the same block but didn't recieve roller cams until later years. I'm sure in 85-86 it is a hit and miss for those blocks becuase they would have to use all the old one first. I have a book at work that gives all this information including things about the heads and how the mustangs had a early 80's head but the truck (D8s) worked better so the 82-85 got these heads.

Oh yeah 50 oz

4. Cleaver

Cleaver Member

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    OK thanks guys....it's definately 50 oz. I found an old harmonic balancer in the shed that I knew came from a early 70's something and compared it to the one from the Bronco. Definately different!!! Then I realized I could have just compared the harmonic balancer from the Bronco to the one in my Mustang. Guess what...same balancer.

Cleaver