How many times has YOUR Maverick been called a Viper?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by rayzorsharp, Oct 6, 2006.

1. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Yes, believe it or not, today was the second time somebody asked me if my Maverick was a Viper! :biglaugh: The 1st time it was perfectly understandable. The kid was probably only 9-10 years old and he obviously had no idea what a real Viper looked like. I am presently attending the 10th annual Cruising The Coast and I am having a blast. I took off the entire week to cruise with these guys. Anyway, while listening to some of the people walk by discussing my car with their better halves, this guy in his 20's promptly looked towards me and said "Is this a Viper?" :huh: He then pointed to the Cobra snake emblem I have on the grille and wanted to know what that meant then. After I told him I simply placed it there because I liked it and it went with my Shelby theme his wife spoke up and said, "Oh, you was just tricking us, huh?" :slap:I guess I'm gonna have to make a sign stating that "This is NOT a Viper".
    Seriously, I loved every minute of it though.
    I also had an older gentleman (60's-70's?) walk around the car twice looking it over very carefully (I already knew what he was doing as there are no emblems anywhere saying Maverick) and after scratching his head for a minute he finally came to me and said "What kind of car IS this?" After I told him you could see the light bulb go off. This guy has probably only seen 50,000 Mavericks in his lifetime. :rolleyes: Of course I had to explain the tail lights and cobra emblems.
    Another local guy that was looking at it told me he used to have one just like it (which I hear quite often) and then he blew it when he said..."they didn't make many of them Cobras, did they?" He kept on by saying "I used to see a blue Maverick riding by here that looked a lot like this, same color and all, but I haven't seen it in a while." He was referring to the blue 71 Grabber I had given to my brother before he passed away. Sometimes I just let it go and leave with a big smile inside. :D
    Then there was the guy that asked me "what was the 1st year they made the fastback?" I just smiled and told him it wasn't a Mustang, it was a Maverick. He just gave me this serious look and once again asked "but what was the 1st year they made the fastback?" :huh: What can I say...he left scratching his head too.
    I love seeing the guys that walk around it and you see them back a few minutes later showing it to their buddies. And I saw more than once, guys walking around it talking on their cell phone saying, "it's a Maverick". I imagine the only reason they knew was because they read it on the registration tag on the dash. :)
    I have been having so much fun with this car this week. I had mainly built it for this event and other shows and had just started showing it some before Katrina did her number on it. This is the first time I really had a chance to show her stuff at Cruisin The Coast where there are thousands of car people seeing it at once. Guys, you don't know what you're missing if you never attend an event like this. Going to local shows is nice and Round-Up is great...but this is simply awesome. There are certain stretches of highway where thousands of people line up on the sides of the highway, sitting in their lounge chairs, just watching us drive by strutting our stuff...and boy, do we strut. :rolleyes: As long as people don't get too careless, we get to do lots of burnouts, some little, some big...or just let them hear what she sounds like (and buddy, my new engine does sound great if I do say so myself). :)
    Well, I better get some sleep. I only have three more days of this and I'm gonna suck every minute of fun out of it as I can. I'll keep you posted if I get any more unusual comments. :cool:

2. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer)
    I've got a comment for ya...

You suck, havin all that fun!

:D J/K
    Yea, keep us posted...And you better have some pics for us!

3. boss9

boss9 Member

Vehicle:
    77 4-door 250 I6
    :thumbs2: Don't forget the pics !!!

4. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick, 1972 grabber
    great story. glad your having alot of fun. cant wait until i have some stories like that.

5. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    LOL I can honestly say I have never had my Maverick called a Viper. About everything else you can imagine though. Sounds like fun!

6. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    A viper?:rofl2:

Some guys have all the fun!!!:D

7. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    Glad you are having fun! Would like to make it down there for Cruising the Coast someday.

8. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

you could always tell people it is

a 1971 Fast Back Cobra Viper Maverick.... the only one ever made.. and tell them its for sale.... for $250,000. and see who bites and wants to buy it..

sucker born every minute.... remember...lol

im glad you are having fun while the rest of us can only dream..

9. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    ray, i'm glad you cleared something up for me. i had been wondering why a viper was allowed to come to the roundup?:rofl2:

10. PART-TIME

PART-TIME Member

Vehicle:
    Grabber Clone
    I only have 1 Maverick badge on my car. It's on the grill. If they miss it when they walk by they tend to circle the car a few times before they ask or guess. It's fun to watch.

Glad your having a good time. Wish I was there with ya.

Ken

11. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    That's a Vega, right? :slap:

12. shaunh82

shaunh82 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Pinto sportsroof
    "what year camaro is this" It's a Ford :D

13. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here

:biglaugh: :rofl2: :biglaugh: :D

14. fredee

fredee Member

Vehicle:
    1971 comet
    Hey Ray missed you by about an hour at the Gulfport park. Met a couple from S.C. that had seen you. Steve

15. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    'Glad to hear you're having a good time one year later, Ray! You deserve it. :Handshake