Manual steering Adapter vs. unattached Power Valve

Discussion in 'Technical' started by scooper77515, Nov 5, 2006.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    OK, I am afraid to drive too far on my new "manual steering" setup (for those not keeping up with me, power system is taken out, power steering valve is still on, but being used as a makeshift "manual adapter").

I am worried about how much stress the power valve can take being used as a "manual adapter", so I am driving just when I need to until I get my manual system installed.

My question is "Why do we buy a Manual Steering Adapter when the Power steering valve seems to work just fine without the power system hooked up to it?"

In fact, I shouldn't worry about it since you can buy a kit hat puts plugs in the power valve making it solid like the manual adapter, so I should feel safe that it can handle being used without the power assist.

It is more difficult to turn, but not impossible to drive. I just cranked on the adjuster screw until it was seated very tightly and started driving, and there does not feel like there is very much play, if any.

Just wondering.... :huh:

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I have bought parts cars that were driven that way on a regular basis. The last one I bought he drove it 700 miles that way.

There is NO WAY I would drive a car like that on a regular basis. It doesn't take much to pop the ball right out of the vavle socket and then you would have no steering.

3. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    That is the kind of thing I am worried about. That thing is in there kinda loosely anyway. At least I can get it in and out of the garage to do the periodic maitenance on my other cars. Until I get my Manual Setup...hint, hint... :D

Check is in the mail...etc. etc.