How bad would the wrong balance flywheel vibrate?

Discussion in 'Other Automotive Tech & Talk' started by Ryan, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick, 70 F-100, 68 F-100, 02 Crown Vicoria
    I did a clutch and flywheel on my 93 mustang this last weekend. Got it all togethor and have a slight vibration that feels likes its from the engine. it increases with rpm and does it moving or standing still, and with clutch pedal in or out.

Im thinking the flywheel was the wrong balance, misboxed or made wrong. Quetion is how bad would it vibrate if it had the 28oz. flywheel in it? Would it be like "Oh My god this thing shakes and something is wrong" or "hmmm somthing dosnt feel right".

2. RobbieG.

RobbieG. Member

Vehicle:
    75 Maverick, 72 Maverick sprint, 67 Mustang bracket car, 02 F250 4X4
    We had the wrong flexplate on my sons car. It's not to bad a vibration but it will kill the main bareings.

3. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    I had a very noticeable vibration from a supposedly correct flexplate. It was a manufacturing problem where the imbalance wasn't quite right.

If you had the wrong flywheel imbalance, i.e., 28 vs 50, I think it would shake pretty violently when reved.

If you still have the flywheel you replaced, with correct imbalance, you can compare the new one to the old. If you need to do that, PM me with an email address and I can send pictures and instructions on how I did that.

4. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick, 70 F-100, 68 F-100, 02 Crown Vicoria
    I think its supposed to be the right weight but its off quite a bit. over 1000 rpms and under 3000 rpms its hardly noticeable. but at idle you can feel it vibrate, and at 3000 rpm the whole car shakes. The old flywheel is long gone in the trash. stupid mistake now looking back at it. But it probably wouldnt make a difference, just gotta replace it with another and hope the next one is made right. Since this is a manual trans flywheel its hard to tell if the weight is right. Its not like on a flexplate where you can just look at the size of the weight thats welded on.

5. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Yeah, if you only changed one thing, you know what's causing the shake. In my case, I had new crank, balancer, flexplate, and torque converter so I had to find the culprit. Hope the replacement fixes it. Rework for defective parts isn't fun. Seems like I've done a bunch of it.