1970 Maverick Gas leak

Discussion in 'Technical' started by roseda, Sep 27, 2002.

1. roseda

roseda New Member

I just bought a 1970 Maverick. I have a gas leak coming from what I think is a evaporative control device of some type. This is a plastic part that mounts up under the left inside fender well @ the bottom. It has five 1/4" lines running to it from the gas tank. This is what is leaking gas, I removed it and plugged these lines for now as I cannot find anyone who knows anything about these and I cannot locate one. Any help or advice as what this is or what to do would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Dave

2. tom mulloy

tom mulloy Senior Vice President

Vehicle:
    1970 Grabber
    According to my 1970 Ford shop manual, cars sold in California car have an evapprative emissions system. There had pictures of all the systems, but did not include Mavericks. One thing I noticed is the cannisters did not have 5 hoses, as does yours. Maybe you have a "factory experimental" super top-secret car? Most people just plug the hoses. I did notice that CA cars include a non-vented tank, so I'm not sure if plugging all the lines will cause a tank venting problem. On my 72 I just left the cannister intact, and did not plug anything.

3. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    On a 1970 Maverick from California, they had a very complicated gas tank venting system. I had a car I bought out of a junk yard that had this system on it. Lots of hoses, canisters, etc. It was the most complicated thing I had ever seen.

I really don't have any advice to offer, I no longer have the car.