Transmission maintainence

Discussion in 'Technical' started by maxsideburn, Feb 1, 2004.

1. maxsideburn

maxsideburn Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Ford Maverick (200CID I6/AUTO)
    I don't think that the transmission in my car has ever been serviced, it certainly doesn't feel like it has. I was wondering, what would you guys recommend for some maintainence to restore some performance to my transmission (automatic). I plan on checking for any vacuum leaks and changing the filter. Is there anything like transmission flush? Also what is the procedure for changing the filter on an automatic transmission?

2. madmav74

madmav74 Member

Vehicle:
    74'maverick strip car
    trans

if the car is driveable I would get a can of "sea foam TRANS TUNE" dump in 1/2 the can drive it for 2 weeks then drop the pan change fluid and filter, vac. modulator and vac. hoses if needed then refil trans and dump the other 1/2 can of "trans tune " in and your ready to go! Any good auto parts place should carry "sea foam" products the stuff is great, I use it in all my vehicles.

3. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    Actually, changing the filter is easy. After you drop the pan, you need to remove the small bolts holding the filter which is right in the middle of the valve body. Be careful now!! On one end of the filter is a tab which holds a spring loaded valve in place. Do not lose this or put it back reversed. It will come out when the filter is removed. Just put it back in the same position it came out and hold the filter in place while you replace it.

When you replace the pan with a new gasket, it is a good idea to tighten the bolts in a concentric pattern, meaning going around the pan in opposite areas. This helps to tighten the pan evenly and makes a better seal with the gasket.

You realize that by just dropping the pan, you cannot remove all the old fluid. There is still old fluid remaining in the converter. The only way is to either drill out the converter also, or have the transmission machine flushed at a shop like Jiffy Lube or Pennzoil. I had a couple cars done at Jiffy Lube and it is worth the price. They get all of the old fluid out and replace the filter also. The process completely fixed a shifting problem on Joy's late dad's '89 Chrysler.

Can't comment on the Sea Foam products. I can't remember ever seeing that brand around here. Lucas makes a transmission additive that is supposed to work. If it is anywhere as good as their oli additive, then it is worth the money. It is not a flush, rather goes in with new fluid.