transmission maintenance questions

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Maliclips, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Maliclips

Maliclips New Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet
    Hi!
    I have a few transmission maintenance questions. I do not have an owners or repair manual for my 72 Comet and as I stated in my first post I am a car idiot…. so the question goes to y’all.

My car stats:
    1972 Comet 302 C-4

Symptoms:
    1. Consistently, at a cold start, the transmission is slow to engage. It usually takes over a minute to engage and has been happening since I got the car (over a month?)
    2. Within the last week, it would occasionally take a second or two before transmission engages when accelerating from a traffic stop.

Note on symptom 1.
    I found an older post with someone complaining of the same cold start transmission issue and it seemed that the solution was a rebuild .... I figure there is a transmission rebuild on the horizon. :(

Note on symptom 2.
    This started happening recently. I checked and my transmission fluid is low so I was going to add some fluid.

My questions:
    1. What kind of transmission fluid should I use?
    2. What are the proper steps of adding new transmission fluid?
    3. Should I use a one of those “automatic transmission treatments”?
    4. Is there anything else (maintenance wise) I should or could do?

Okay thanks in advance everyone
    -Mal

Note: I will be looking into getting a Chiltons guild soon.. Im just broke right now:)

2. rickyracer

rickyracer Member

Vehicle:
    66 Stang, 68 Cougar, 72 Comet GT
    Trans

Drop the pan and change the filter and fluid. Type "F" fluid.

3. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    There are a few lower cost things that you may want to do before you resort to replacing/rebuilding the transmission. You didn't state the color and smell of the fluid as this gives definate clues to problems. You also weren't clear if there was any slip also. If there's slip, now you have to go to Plan 'B', repair, unless it is just a case of low fluid level.

If the fluid is discolored but smells normal, it may be worn out and in need of replacement. Just dropping the pan only removes a portion of the entire load of fluid. The best way to replace fluid is by having it flushed at a place like one of the quick lube locations. They have machines that flush out all of the fluid and replce it with fresh. Type F is the best as that's what was originally in the car. Dexron/Mercon III is the modern substitute. The average cost of a complete flush & fill is around $90. The screen should be replaced or at least well cleaned. They do this as part of the procedure. I wouldn't recommend going to a transmission shop to have this done as they traditionally try to get customers to have a repair/replacement done as this is where they make the real money. After Joy's dad passed a few years ago, he left a mint '89 New Yorker with only 28000 miles on it. The trans shifted poorly and the fluid was almost black. I took it to Jiffy Lube and had the flush done and the car is still on the road today with a perfectly shifting transmission. The valves that regulate shifting need both the pressure that is present internally in the transmission and good fluids to operate correctly. They can also get gummed up over time. Both of my Mavs had problems with not wanting to go out of first gear. Changing the fluid and screens rectified the problems in both cars.

Replacing the modulator that is found on the outside of the transmission is another easy and low cost repair that you can do. It is easily recognizable as it sits on the rear left of the case and has a vacuum line attached. They have been known to go bad.

If the fluid smells burnt, then there is a more serious condition present that likely requires repair. Now, you would have to look at your options to replace or rebuild.

My philosophy...start simple first. It usually works.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  4. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    One other thing..as to treatments, the only company that I've found that makes additives that seem to be worth the powder to blow them up is Lucas. I've has good luck with both their oil additive and gas treatment. I've heard good things about their transmission treatment.

I'd strongly recommend doing what I posted in the previous post rather than just using an additive and hoping for the best. This is kinda like putting a bandaid on a fracture. Not good medicine.

5. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    I agree... I'd check the smell/color of the fluid first
    I'd atleast change the fluid/filter, even if you don't have it flushed out somewhere.
    Seen many a transmission fixed w/ just a fluid/filter change, and it's cheap to do.
    Let us know the color/smell of the fluid and we can help you out more.

6. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    C4 "morning sickness" is caused by worn seals on the clutch apply pistons. You might be able to delay the rebuild that is necessary with the use of a methanol based sealant but it will cause problems of its own. It is better to see if you can find a core tranny and rebuild it before your C4 goes out completely. Then you can choose when you replace it rather than waiting for it to break down 15 miles from home on a rainy night and all your friends are out of town or at a party so you have to pay the $600 towing fee to get it home.

7. dkstuck

dkstuck Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick in drag
    Or just don't party on a rainy night! :rofl2:

sorry, just had to add that

8. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Since this post is 2 years old, I would hope that the problem has been solved by now?

9. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    Yea, I was hoping so. lol I was like "I dont remember posting that" until i seen the date

10. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    i saw that and had to look twice. thought i saw one yesterday and it was the join date.:p