Fuel pump /oil cooler adapter problem solved

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by Graybeard, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Graybeard

Graybeard Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    I wanted to throw this out there for anyone who may have had this problem.I wanted to mount an oil cooler on my Maverick and I had an original Ford adapter that screws on in place of the oil filter.This adapter is cast aluminum and has the tapped connections for the supply and return lines which go to the cooler which mounts in front of the radiator.The set up is really heavy duty and is completely stock Ford.I think it was originally from an F-250 pickup.The problem I had was that when you mount the adapter to the block,you are limited by the frame as to which direction you roll it so as to be able to change the filter and connect the supply and return lines.The adapter slightly changes the filter angle.This put the line connections pointing at the fuel pump,and impossible to make work.I tried all kinds of fittings (NPT X AN)to get around this but space was just to limited.So I gave up until a few weeks ago when I stopped by a freinds house to look at project he was working on.We were discussing some problems and I mentioned the oil cooler/fuel pump interference issue to him.He said I needed to use a Ford fuel pump that was upside down.I had never seen one before until he dug around and pulled out a small block fuel pump that was turned upside down.These were used on small blocks in Econoline vans from the early 70's with power steering only.I later found out that some Marine engines also used these pumps because of clearance issues.Sure enough,I ordered one for a 1974 Econoline w/ps and it is upside down.I haven't been able to put in on,and probably won't for awhile,but just by holding it up to the engine and eyeballing its location,I think this will work with no problem.The other side benefit to this is that Ford used an improved oil cooler on the later model Mustangs that take coolant from the lower radiator hose and circulate it thru a plate cooler that mounts to the block and the filter then screws to the cooler.They worked because the newer engines ran an electric fuel pump so clearance wasn't an issue.I haven't checked this setup out yet,but it appears that this would allow that cooler to work also.I thought some of you would be interested in this if you are like me and try to keep every thing Ford on my cars that I can.I get great satisfaction out of making Ford parts work on my cars when they originally came from another Ford model.I will attach a picture if possible.

2. Graybeard

Graybeard Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Picture of pump

Here is a picture of the pump.

Attached Files:

3. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    graybeard,
    how you doing buddy?
    don't know about the cooler and pump..sorry...frank...:bouncy:

4. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    glad you got yourproblem solved. i know you said you try to use ford parts but i think mallory had a fuel pump that could be changed to different positions.:)

5. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Very interesting,, and very good info,, I been wondering on that same subject.
    Dan