really its stock! anyways everythings done.. well for now ;)

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Maverick Man, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    well thanks to some advise and help from the board here everything done and the car moves. i swore i was gonna leave this car stock.. well as you can see it ain't stock anymore.. so John you win! :p

all new front suspention (except springs left over from other car) poly everything (Shock Mounts, Lower Control Arm, Endlinks, Sway Bar Bushings and Strut Rods)

mostly anything that didn't need to be grade 8 bolts, nuts or washers i went stainless steel.

i used Granada brake caliper bracket and spindels they were both power coated. Rotor was the one you seen on e-bay.. great stuff.. and way cheaper then the parts store.. so why not.

shocks are Gas-A-Just kybs and swaybar an addco 7/8 bar... corners great!

yeah the car is low.. so what :p took it to the alignment shop.. wham bam.. right on! who said it won't align this low... :p plus set it at a 1/4 camber just for some cornering :bouncy:

but the only problem now.. the tires rub! :rolleyes: yeah yeah yeah... i was going to smack in the fender wells roll them with a baseball bat like both my other cars but i thought about it... :tsk: i didn't want to mess up the nice fender trim so the stock wheels and white walls went back on!

but it was fun drving it around looking like a fast car even though the thing is slower then a shopping cart! and the best thing the car stops a heck of alot better then 4 wheel drum brakes!

If anyone needs part numbers on any of this stuff let me know.

Attached Files:

2. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    Derrick, that looks awesome! How does it ride? And yes I might like to get some of those #s from you and thank you for offering it to us.

3. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    Looks great! I have heard so many stories about poly squeaking is it true? If anyone knows it would be you. (y)

4. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick 2 dr. modified street cruiser, 72 Comet tube chassis drag car
    Lookin good Derrick....uh...more pics please(y)

5. Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    yes they do but if you grease them with the stuff they are supossed to come with they won't. if it rains and they aren't lube enough they will start squeaking after a hard rain.. then again a good warning to lube them again. what usually will squeak are the sway bar bushings.. nave had problems with other ones.

of what? what ya wanna see? but right now to hot to go outside to take more pics :p 101 outside right now! i'm dying!!!!

6. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    Derrick don't know your setup but I assume that the new sway bar bushings have Zerk fittings on them what about the others. What type of lube is used.

7. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    nice job(y) -gonna have to do the same to my mav

I hear you man its like 110 in the inland empire:mad:

8. Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    my mounts don't have any zerk fittings or is it zert :confused: ah whatever its the same thing i know what i mean and you mean :p now though i have heard that some come moutns come with them yet i have not seen one yet.

the lube is some really nasty stuff! i used regular grease on one of my other cars (not a maverick) and thats probably why after the rain it squeaked. but the stuff that comes with these kits in a tube and its clear.. its not silicone. all i know if you get the stuff in your hands its don't come off until after like 4 washes with soap! and if you get it in your hair forget about it!

9. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Man, that looks great! :thumbs2:

Makes me wish I lived closer to you. My car could use alot of help with everything pictured above. :) You make it seem so easy. :D

10. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    How did you lower it?

11. mavtricks71

mavtricks71 Member

ISNT THE SUSPENSION LOUD AND HARSH WITH THOSE BUSHINGS? MY CARS ALL RUBBER ....AND STILL THE SUSPENSION IS A LITTLE LOUD DURING POT HOLES AND BAD ROADS????

12. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Derrick you are the MaverickMan!!!! Great post with great info. Looks awesome.
    Dan

13. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    Can you order more of that lube? My 4x4 truck has all new poly bushings in it and i didnt receive any of that stuff. Just some "assembly lube" as I called it, came in a little packet you smeared on it when installing.
    Would like to keep my stuff lubed well, and how do you go about lubing all the bushings?

14. Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    cut the springs... i was going to do the "shelby" lowering the control arm and everything. but my buddy just did that in his maverick and it rode all weird... also bounced.. we thought it was the shocks but i gave him my kybs and still didn't help... he did new rear leaf too just to see if it was that. also coudl have beent he rate spring..either way he said he would never do that again.. maybe it was something else.

i went with 600 lbs in this one since it its only a six.. i went with progressive 650s in my bule car. actually i'm gonna put another set in... with stock wheels and tires the car looks to low to me... IMO with 16s or larger the cars gotta be that low to have the right stance... but like i said i put the stock wheels and tires back on since it was rubbing and i didn't want to jack up a nice set of virgin fenders :p

but yah, this is the 3rd car i have done this way and i happy with the way it rides and handles so why mess with another way that i know works :p

i'm sure you can. yes its one small packet thats for sure! anyways you'd have to take apart the area to relube it unless it has a zerk or was it zert (i can't spell lol!) fitting. however some areas you have no choice to remove the whole thing. ie: inside areas of swaybar bushing mounts.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2005
  15. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    Hrm, guess I'll just have to deal w/ the squeaking, as I don't think much of my stuff has the zert/cert fitting for bushings. What does have it I will use, Glad its not squeaky yet