The right stripes?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Jerryfow2, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Jerryfow2

Jerryfow2 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber/1972 Sprint/1976 Stallion
    Hi all,
    My Grabber is going to need paint soon and I have been wondering about color. The car is Factory Brite Lime. I have not seen any other brite Lime Mavs around and although the Stripes that were on it were Black is this the only color Brite Lime came with? I have a advertisement with a Lime Grabber with Green Stripes. Was this just for the advertisement or did they actually have that combination.
    Is there a way to find out production specifics on how many were painted what and with what stripe packages?
    Thanks for the reply's.
    Jerryfow

2. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    You could probably pay Marti to do that research for you ... not sure how much he would charge. Green stripes were definitely available so I have no doubt some Lime cars came with either Green or Black stripes.

3. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    speaking of which, my stock stripes reflected more gold and the replacements reflect more of a silver. very annoying since i painted my hood and tail pannels to reflect gold. does anyone make the correct color side stripes? it sucks that i will probably have to rebuy them, remove them and reapply them:mad::slap:

4. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    Green stripes

I have seen green stripes on a white car I believe, and lime/bright
    green stripes on a dark metallic green Grabber.

Wasn't there a post here a few yrs. ago of a yellow grabber with
    lime stripes?

Then there is M.A.V.'s car:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  5. dmhines

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    My reproduction stripes reflect silver ... I have some pictures at home of my originals that I think I took with the flash on ... I'll see if my originals were gold or silver.

6. Jerryfow2

Jerryfow2 Member

Vehicle:
    Who is Marti? I would not mind finding out about this stuff.
    Thanks for all the great replys!
    Jerryfow

7. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
  8. dmhines

Vehicle:
    Besides reports Marti can research things like this ... He could tell you how many Lime Grabbers were built and then break down the numbers of what color stripes each car had ... you have to call for quotes on the price for research like that.

9. Grabber71

Grabber71 Milique Toast

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber Maverick 351w
    My '71 Grabber was originally brite-lime green! Never seen another car with that colour except for a '71 Mustang at a show once. I would think it would be a pretty rare colour. When I drove mine I almost didn't need headlights...the car almost seemed to kinda glow at night. Anyway...here are a few pics of my fender(replaced and kept it for 15 years so far) It shows a black reflective stripe with a yellow stripe and yellow lettering....hope this helps!

Attached Files:

10. dmhines

Vehicle:
    OK ... Here are 2 pictures with the original factory stripes ... and the third picture with my son is the reproduction stripes. I really can't tell the difference in the reflective color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Man, that is some cool pics.
    Dan
    ps tongue sticking out is just so MAVERICK!!!

12. Jerryfow2

Jerryfow2 Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the feed back Guys,
    A couple of thoughts on why the stripes look different. The reflective color variance is due to the light involved. The Original stripes that came on the cars were 20 or 30 years old and even if they look great, a certain amount of fading has taken place. The reflectivity of black decreases as time goes by. (Basically Black is made of all colors. As one of those colors decrease or fade the spectrum light reflects differently).
    The next possibility is the material that the stripes are made out of is a different material than the stock ones. The color under a color can affect its overall appearance. Even if the material is clear it can still affect the overall color. So if you change the color of your car the strip can appear different. (I work in the Ink Industry I really am not a color freak.. Ok maybe).
    Thanks
    Jerryfow

13. dmhines

Vehicle:
    Jerry ... actually we aren't talking about the color of the stripes as far as INK is concerned. Ford used reflective Vinyl on 1971 Grabber stripes. This reflective quality can be seen in the dark when a light shines on them or appears during the day if you take a picture and use a flash. That is what you are seeing in the pictures above .. the flash on the reflective vinyl. My stripes are Black as in my Sig picture.

14. mavdog71

mavdog71 Member

Vehicle:
    '71 Maverick Grabber
    strips

Jerry

you can get your replacement strips throught PHOENIX GRAPHX . I got mine from them they are good quality amd are easy to install just take your time .
    If you have any question pm me will try to post pic when I got home from utah

thx jay

15. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    on the original question, there was a guy at the show yesterday from hawthorne NV with a decent 71 grabber, all stock lime paint, black reflective stripe with orange letters and orange pinstripes. ill try to post pics later of it.