Is my hood secure?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by qicvick, Apr 5, 2008.

1. qicvick

qicvick Member

Vehicle:
    1972 grabber
    :huh: My grabber hood rises up seems like almost an inch all the way across the back by the windshield at about 60 miles an hr. It also seems to be lifted up @ 1/4 inch in the front also, it is constantly (floating) up and down. I have the front adjusted to bout a 1/4 inch slack, I tried adjusting to a no slack but almost couldn't get it unlatched, car has pretty new springs in front so it sets up slightly in the front, It has been like this forever but I am sure it isn't supposed to do this. How much if any slack up and down should the front have ?

2. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    My 70 has almost no slack in the front and dosen't rise at all in the rear. Something dosen't sound right to me.:)

3. 19BlacK77

19BlacK77 Member

When the hood hinges wear out and get slack in them it causes the rear of the hood to do this.:yup:

4. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    I've had one of my cars do the same exact thing. I adjusted the hinges and fixed the problem. If you loosen the three bolts that hold the hinge to the inner fender, you'll have to rotate the hinge one way or the other...not sure which way but the holes in the hinge are slotted and have a lot of adjustment in them. Then adjust the height up and down. This should fix your problem...if not, get a different set of hinges.

5. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Try moving the rear hinge bolt, on the inner fender down. I find that alot of these cars are just improperly aligined in this area. Yes, the wear factor will cause this also. But give it a try, there is quite a bit of adjustment in this area. Note, if you move it too much you will end up taking the paint off the leading edge of the cowl. Be careful. Run a strip of masking tape along the leading edge of the cowl to alleve rubbing of surfaces should there be too much slop.
    Dan

6. qicvick

qicvick Member

Vehicle:
    1972 grabber
    Thanks guys, I guess I was working on the wrong end!

7. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I wouldn't trust the rising front either.

My hood closes firmly with no slack. Are all the bumpers and pads on the fender sides accounted for and fresh? The pads do get squashed over time.

8. qicvick

qicvick Member

Vehicle:
    1972 grabber
    I am going to work on the front too, I messed with it once and got it too tight so I put it back were it was when I finally got it open! Aiming at no slack! I had just accecpted this until I read a post last week about improving areodynamics and somebody mentioned this, it got me thinking about it, You guys just may have saved a grabber hood !:bowdown:

9. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Mine just raises in the back. Dosen't bother me enough to do anything about it. All 11 Mavericks I have driven did the same thing.

10. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    ...it's the...302 Boss selfcowling Grabber Hood ...very rare :D

...Frank...:Handshake

11. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Yes, very rare, only came on Shelby Mavericks.

12. qicvick

qicvick Member

Vehicle:
    1972 grabber
    Fixed it! Now has no slack in front and back stays down, thanks Dan for the tip on the paint, I adjusted just the back holes and it was going to hit the cowl so I moved the front holes down also, I suspected it was the hinges wore out but I thought it was the bushings. It has been this way I think since I've owned it back in 92. Thanks again to all who posted ,I am really pumped about the Shelby hood possibilities :biglaugh::rofl2: