1974 Maverick Grabber Gas Tank

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by KRigdon102, Apr 28, 2008.

1. KRigdon102

KRigdon102 New Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick Grabber
    Does anyone possibly know where to find a 1974 Mav Grabber gas tank. I have been searching on-line for weeks and cannot find one for this year. Are there any interchangeable parts, or a place where they sell them?

Thanks,
    Joseph

2. BaldEagleMav

BaldEagleMav BaldEagleMav

Vehicle:
    '73 2 Door w/250 & C4
    Re: '74 Gas Tank

Hi Joseph,

I have a '73 Maverick and I was able to install the gas tank from a '76 Maverick. ('76 was the year with the largest gas tank - 19 gallons!)

The '70 to '73 Mavericks all had the small rear bumper and the tank was slightly smaller than on the later year cars to account for this difference.

I have heard that some people have had to "clearance" the rear panel slightly to install the larger, later tank in their pre-1974 Mavericks - but I didn't have any clearance issues on my car.

I think you can still get '76 or '77 gas tanks through the normal channels for gas tanks.

I expect installing a later tank into your '74 would be a cinch!

Regards,
    BaldEagleMav

Rome74 likes this.
  3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Only other issue might be the vent and straps. For the vent, early tanks use the big locking ring like the fuel sending unit. Later tanks use a small grommet. You can buy the grommet and vent valve from Ford last time I checked. Part number for the grommet is F6TZ9B076-AA. Part number for the valve or fitting as I think they call it, is E7DZ9B593-A. The straps will probably have to be lengthened to fit the larger tank, or just find a set off a 75 or up car.

4. 74bossmav

74bossmav Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick 2 door Brn.
    I have a tank in a 74 that I am using for parts. I bought the car about 4 years ago and the tank had just been boiled out and resealed. Been sitting ever since with a small amount of gas in it. Gage worked. Still in the car. If you are interested I guess I should put it in the for sale section.

5. KRigdon102

KRigdon102 New Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick Grabber
    What would you be willing to sell it for? I would also need the filler neck, and straps if you have them.

Joseph

6. 74bossmav

74bossmav Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick 2 door Brn.
    You could have the filler neck, straps ect. I will try to get it pulled Sat. morning and let you know price. Tank looks like new on outside and has an undercoating on it. I just want to make sure of it's overall condition before I set a price. Not sure at this point how to get it to you though.

7. Cabbym03

Cabbym03 Member

Vehicle:
    Comet
    I just recently bought a brand new tank from Kragen auto parts, its the same part number as a 79 ford granada so i had to order it for a granada cause otherwise it isn't in the system, as far as the vent i think you can get the right grommet and valve. I used the same straps (had to finesse and man handle them to get them on but they worked) another hint I had to bend the tabs on the tank also were the straps go.you can see a lot of parts and part numbers at a website called Autokrafters.com just download the catalog for maverick.

8. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    got these parts at the Ford Dealership today...

...Frank...:drive: