Ak trim clips!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by darren, Mar 28, 2009.

1. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    Well I just wasted 2 hours of time on a job that should have took minutes thanks to AK and the crappy hardware they sent me. The clips for the front and rear window trim do not work. The factory clips have a rounded edge to allow the trim to push the clip open and then snap closed holding the trim in place. Piece of cake.
    The AK clips do not have a rounded edge which means the trim just hits the clip and stops dead. If you push to hard the cheap clip snaps. So I had to make a tool actually a trim removal tool to hold the clip open while pushing the trim in. They dont hold the trim very well either. What a nightmare. Do they not test products before selling them?? A child could see why these clips dont work.
    Plan on sending them an Email about this one. Sorry if I'm b i t c h i n but man was I something pissed off. Makes the job very nerve racking. Hoping you dont damage your trim or scratch the car. Words cannot describe how pissed off I am at AK.

I also have to apologize to the fellow who mentioned this in another post. My reply was that we used the AK clips and they worked fine. I was wrong. Turns out my body man at work used the factory clips for the front. The trim just snaps right in. Did I mention I'm pissed off.:mad::mad:

2. bradleygt

bradleygt Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick
    can you really tell us how you feel:badwords: i think i dont want to order all my trim now with all these issues with autokrafters

brad:)

3. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt BBF life

Vehicle:
    1970 ford torino #1
    I hope these i bought work! (not from ak anyway)

4. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    Yeh sorry about the bitch fest. I'm all better now.:clap::clap::clap:

5. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I went through the same thing, I ended up buying about 4 different ones (AK, Adveco, etc) before I went to every glass shop in town and bought every original ones they had. (Speedy had the most) Don't chip the paint!!! (I did) :D

6. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    I still have one piece to finish. I'll head over to Speedy and see if they have half a dozen.
    The paint chip thing is what had me stressed right out. If I chipped it because of a crappy product.... You know what I mean. Luckily I didnt chip it.
    Thanks for the info.

7. Bryant

Bryant forgot more than learned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    man, i just got some from ak a month ago. im not going to bother trying them. its not even worth trying to return them.
    as best as i can tell they are color coded. yellow ones are the ones that came off so i need to find them. does anybody have a source for the confirmed right ones?

8. comrick317

comrick317 Banned

Vehicle:
    1976 Mercury Comet
    Hey Darren, Sorry about your hassle and thanks for the info, in the future it my help out, thanks and take it easy.:slap:(y)

9. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
  10. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

Can you post a picture of what the clips look like? I have never seen them. I have enough used ones I have saoved over the years I have always used those.

I know on a lot of products....companies don't "test" products to see if they work or not. A lot of the time they are just going off the word of the salesman from the clip company (or whatever company) who is selling them the clips. Same is true of Wal-Mart, your local sweeper store, etc. I know I have personally worked with Auto Krafters to get certain products manufactured and repopped. For example: sport mirror gaskets, 4-door rear window gasket, steering column seal, and more. The clips was one thing I did not work with them on.

11. RASelkirk

RASelkirk Retired!

Vehicle:
    Sonic Blue '72 w/LS-1, 200R4, 9" w/3.50
    Hmmm, I bought a handlful of the yellow clips from AK, they worked OK for my '72... A glass shop came and installed the trim when they did the glass and they had no problems using them, front or rear. We did notice the squared-off edges, but the only concern they had was the depth from the center pin to the outer edge (and it was the same).

Russ

12. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
  13. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    Dang. I'll have to look at the ones I bought a year ago or so. There still in the big box I havn't opened yet. I hope I don't have problems... then there will be a second rant :(

14. mean_maverick

mean_maverick Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 4dr

same here, i bought a box of 50 from them last yr and havent used them yet. ill be sure to compare them with some from a parts car

15. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick