Shelby taillight conversion

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by car-nut, Oct 7, 2009.

1. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I know maybe this should have gone in another section, but since it could have fit into a few different places I thought it should just go here. Hope no one minds.:D

I have been doing a bit of research on converting over to the Shelby taillights. I see that most guys that have done it have molded on the fiberglass rear panel while also cutting up the stock tail panel.

https://www.mustangsunlimited.com/i...=Tail+Light+Panels+&+Hardware&CatKey=EMUSTANG

With this new steel panel now available I was wondering if this might actually be the better way to go? Any thoughts? Keep in mind that there is fabrication either way...

Also I see here that you can buy the whole thing in kit form with everything needed, tail pan, lights, bezels, and wiring harness. Any thoughts on this as well?
    https://www.mustangsunlimited.com/i...=Tail+Light+Panels+&+Hardware&CatKey=EMUSTANG

There doesn't seem to be an easy or cheap way to do this. Of course if there was it would no longer be a unique thing to do I guess.

2. justin has a 74

justin has a 74 Maverick bandit official

Vehicle:
    74 maverick /71 grabber /72 maverick
    Price: $729.88
    only drawback but i like the idea

questions we need to concider... is the mustang wider?? is the mustang trunk taller??

3. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I agree the price is expensive, but when you add up all the individual prices I would think the guys that have done this are into it for around the same money? Am I wrong there?

I would never expect the panel to be a perfect easy weld in, but if the few guys that are on here that have done it with the fiberglass piece I can't imagine it would be any more difficult with the steel piece. How much fabrication are these guys doing now to fit the glass part?

And by using the steel part you no longer need the fiberglass piece over top any more.

4. Thack

Thack vision advicator

Vehicle:
    71 2 Dr Maverick, 70 Mustang Sportsroof, 77 F100 4x4, 72 maverick grabber wifes
    Very nice that would be the way to go. I love to work with steel.

5. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick

Thanks for chiming in, you were one of the people I was hoping to hear from! I was curious what your and a few other guys here thought about this.

6. Cpt. Bondo

Cpt. Bondo Member

Vehicle:
    (2) '72 Comet GTs, 68 Mustang
    I like the idea of using metal over fiberglass for the light panel myself. Here's a picture of what's included in the kit.

[​IMG]

Just from all the parts that would need to be tracked down to do the conversion, I completely agree that it more than likely would cost just as much, if not more, to find them on your own, refurbish the housings, and replace the lens & gaskets over buying them in kit form.

Just my thoughts on the subject,
    -Scott H.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  7. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    When you're read to wire up the sequential signals, just get a kit from http://webelectricproducts.com/. I think Ray pointed me in their direction when I did the Caprice lights. The universal kit I used was only 69 bucks, is super easy to wire up, and works awesome!

8. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I'd buy that kit, it's nice to have everything new. My next project will have Shelby tail lights.

9. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Thanks for everyone's comments. I thought it looked like a good idea and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

10. krelboyne

krelboyne Remember

I know something about those

My current project is a 1968 Mustang California Special, it uses the same fiberglass rear panel as the 1968 Shelby.

I measured my fiberglass repop rear panel and it is 60-1/8 inches wide.

I don't actually have a Maverick or Comet yet, if this is going to be too wide? I think that the steel panel would be the way to go and section it down narrower if need be.

Capt Bondo is right, Shelby and AO Smith sourced the tail light parts from a 1965 Thunderbird. Tough to find in good condition.

11. 302-72-mav

302-72-mav Member

Vehicle:
    70 mav 302 // WRECKED 72 maverick
    why not just put the tail lights on the mav's rear panel and save a bunch of $$ i don't think you will notice much of a diff with that mustang panel any way :cool:

12. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    The light bezels are taller than the raised part of the panel. To make them look right you have to cut out the raised area and replace it with flat sheetmetal. That is how I (and some others) did mine.

13. 302-72-mav

302-72-mav Member

Vehicle:
    70 mav 302 // WRECKED 72 maverick
    i don't like it with the flat panel look i like it with the contour of the tail lights:thumbs2:

08a.JPG
    copy__2__of_sany0013.jpg
    mustang
    dcp04381.jpg

this is with the mav rear panel
    grabber_shelby.jpg

jerry dutton likes this.
  14. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick

15. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    That was a test fit before I cut the raised panel out. They just didn't look right hanging over the edges even though it was only a very slight overhang. The 67 Shelby lights look right at home on the flat panel. If I ever change my mind, it won't be that difficult to mold on the fiberglass panel, unless they start making them in metal for 67's as well...

grabber-rear_original.jpg