HELP! Starter spins but doesn't engage the flywheel!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by dmhines, Apr 9, 2004.

1. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Put the starter in today and tried to turn the engine over. The starter spins but doesn't engage the flywheel. Engine turns easily with a ratchet on the crank bolt.

I originally tried to put the starter in that I had on a 73 302 with a C4 and it would not fit in the bellhousing hole.

I bought a 68 Mustang 302 engine for a Standard transmission car and that bolted in fine but it isn't engaging the flywheel.

What could be wrong? What starter should I be using?

Thanks ... Dan

2. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Couple of things to think on
    1. Is it a standard trans flywheel? I think that the auto and manual flywheels are different size.
    2. I think you might check into a later model 72 and up starter. Something I remember about a change in that era.

I am not certain on any of the above, it is just troubleshooting going on in my head.
    Dan

3. elliot

elliot Member

Vehicle:
    76 4 door 347 paxton and t56
    you might have a bellhousing for a 164 tooth flywheel when you need one for the 157 tooth flywheel thats on it I`m prolly wrong but you never know

4. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    Have you tested to see if the starter gear extends out all the way when juiced?

I recently returned a starter that would spin, but the 'bendix'(?) wouldn't extend.

Good luck and keep us posted,

R

5. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick 2 dr. modified street cruiser, 72 Comet tube chassis drag car
    the starters for auto's and standards are different and some parts stores aren't aware of this, also the bendix may engage and the starter gear turn but not move towards the flywheel and engage it...it just sits and spins.
    Also make sure you have the correct solenoid for the starter, these starters draw a massive amout of amperage and can weld the contacts shut frying your starter.
    my nickels worth:)

6. dmhines

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Gonna pull the starter tomorrow and test it. Have the correct solenoid (tried two of them) and the starter I have is definitely different than the one for an automatic. Probably just a defective AutoZone starter. I have a Bellhousing dated 1965 that mates up perfect with both the 1968 Smallblock and the Rear Engine Spacer plate as well so I don't think it is a bellhousing issue. Thanks and hopefully I swap starters tomorrow and have a Happy ending. What sucks is that it's a pain in the arse to install and remove the starter with the headers!

7. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    hopefully it is a starter problem. my interchange manual shows a different starter for a auto and a standard. good luck. :)

8. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick 2 dr. modified street cruiser, 72 Comet tube chassis drag car
    Dan the big starters are a pain to get by the headers, if you remove the idler arm from where it bolts at it makes it much easier to get in and out, also Ray( courier11 seconds) were having this same discusion in another thread and he informed me that a starter for a 95 Mustang is much smaller and easier to work with, you just have to modify some wiring on the solenoid which is attached to the starter itself.
    Autozone is one of the stores who has a wrong stock number.
    Have them cross reference it to an Autolite or Ford part number and work from there. You'll end up with 2 starters on the counter. One will be the same as your bringing back...the other will be the correct one.
    Napa stores have this same problem.
    My new Bosch starter just bit the dust this afternoon...I'm gonna go back with one of the small ones.

9. inline6

inline6 Member

dan,i ran into about the same thing with autozone.for my 302 the starter that worked for me was p/n DL3124.hope this helps...chuck.

10. dmhines

Vehicle:
    Cool - gonna try that one ... that is actually listed for the Automatic ...

11. inline6

inline6 Member

yeah,you gotta watch autozone.ALOT of their parts are cross referenced wrong!every starter they had listed at my local store,for a standard would not work.,would either sit and spin,or the bendix would be crushed up against the flywheel.just like my wifes 98 ranger,she needed upper ball joints,her truck has coil spring susp.not the torsion bar type,and they had listed that her truck should have had the torsion bar susp.needless to say i put them on,and the front of the truck looked crosseyed.good luck with the starter,and post the outcome,and if that p/n worked.
    chuck.

12. inline6

inline6 Member

dan almost forgot,when you take the starter back,have them pull that p/n i gave you.if you hold them up together the nose cone,on the dl3124 should be longer.and that should be the one you need.
    chuck.

13. dmhines

Vehicle:
    OK .. got the 3124 and at first it wouldn't seat because of a small flange on the back of the bellhousing. I took a chunk of the flange off and got the starter seated.

Still will not engage the flywheel .. just spins. Could the problem be the flywheel? It is a NON-OEM Billet Steel ... 157 teeth 28oz. Here is a pic of how much it overlaps the starter opening. Perhaps it is too small so the starter gear can't reach it? I am at a loss ....

14. dmhines

Vehicle:
    Here is the 6 cylinder I pulled out. The amount of overlap of the ring gear on the starter opening seems similar ...

15. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Dan, have you bench tested the starter? I had one that would spin the ring gear but would not have movement to get to the flywheel. I am very very leery of these remanufactured starters nowadays. I personally have had 2 buddies go to extreme measures to get beyond a defective starter they just bought recently. Both were defective out of the box, but neither would believe, they do now.
    Dan