I wonder if this would work

Discussion in 'Technical' started by pil1sbury, Sep 11, 2011.

1. pil1sbury

pil1sbury MavBoy living life

Vehicle:
    1974 FORD MAVERICK
    2011-ford-mustang-gt-coupe-interior-speedometer-18_original.jpg
    2011 Mustang GT Coupe gauges I wonder if this would fit would anyone know
    2011-ford-mustang-gt-coupe-interior-speedometer-18_original.jpg

2. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    I have thought long and hard about using those, unfortunitely they are tied into the cars puter so it would be allot of work making them functional.
    You could probably adapt and aftermarket electronic spedometer and tach for the bigger guages, something from autometer would probably work well. and for the smaller guages you would be adapting as close of guages you could find so you could still retain the color changing abilities of those guages.
    Obviously the multifunction screen would no longer work, but the idiot lights could easily be wired up.​

So yes I have really thought about doing that but you know the biggest thing stopping me, I havent found a cheap set anywhere, and I dont want to spend several hundred bucks on something from the dealer(even on ebay they arent cheap) just to hack it up:cry:

3. smegnl

smegnl Roger Saffle Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Grabber Clone
    wouldnt the main problem be the electronics that feed the info to the gauges?

4. pil1sbury

Vehicle:
    1974 FORD MAVERICK
    ya that would be my problem too i dont want to spend all that money then hack it up but i want to redo all the wireing in my maverick i want a full custom im just doing a bit at a time

5. mercgt73

mercgt73 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet GT (clone), 1974 Mustang II, 1980 Bobcat Wagon
    I'm not 100% positive, but I thought alot of instrument systems are now on the CAN system, sort of a bus type network, within the module system of the vehicle. Not really sure how forgiving it would be in the absence of the other parts of the vehicle.

Dummy lights, yeah, I can see getting those to work. Even if it meant doing some jumpering onto the control board. The gauges? I'm not even sure those are analog. They might be digital now.

It would be tough, that's for sure. Probably lose the fun factor early in the process.

6. pil1sbury

Vehicle:
    1974 FORD MAVERICK
    ya thats another part if it's analog or digital but if i rewire all the electronics couldent i change that all around

7. Resto

Resto Benders Evil Twin

Vehicle:
    73 Mav Buckets(69 351W, soon to be 408) Floorshift FXBDY AOD ,07 Glide,06 E250HA,01 Silverado
    I would just build an interphase board, convert the signals. We did that alot at Bell Areospace, oops I said too much.

8. pil1sbury

Vehicle:
    1974 FORD MAVERICK
    haha I can make a board for about anything I work on control boards a lot

9. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    Its all sent over vehicle Bus network from the other modules. Digital comm. in and out of the cluster. No idea how you could decipher and reproduce all that info to make it work?

10. Resto

Resto Benders Evil Twin

Vehicle:
    73 Mav Buckets(69 351W, soon to be 408) Floorshift FXBDY AOD ,07 Glide,06 E250HA,01 Silverado
    Then this should be easy. I would start by studying schematics for both cars. :)
    Then you may need to write some software.

11. Streetdeacon

Streetdeacon Streetdeacon

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2dr.
    Just put colored lights in your gauges. :huh::tiphat:

12. fastback86

fastback86 Loose cars and fast women

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick 351W, 1985 5.0 Mustang coupe, 1996 F150, 2004 Subaru WRX Sti (Don't shoot me, it goes like hell!)
    I've thought about doing that exact thing. Does anybody have a spare one we can experiment with?

13. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    LOL .. there is no way ... it is on a CANBUS with just a small electrical connector in the back ... It is all controlled by the PCM ....

Just to show you how tough it would be ... I swapped my Standard White Face gauges which I thought were ugly for the Black SVT GT500 gauges. The GT500 gauges swap is popular for all S197 Mustangs. But until this day .. nobody has figure out a way to get the BOOST gauge to work ....

[​IMG]

14. fastback86

fastback86 Loose cars and fast women

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick 351W, 1985 5.0 Mustang coupe, 1996 F150, 2004 Subaru WRX Sti (Don't shoot me, it goes like hell!)
    Difficult? Yes. Impossible? Absolutely not.

We just gotta find the right person. I know nothing about CANBUS or any other protocols, but I do know how electric gauges themselves work. At the very least I could probably dis-assemble that cluster, isolate and remove the individual gauges, and probably build the circuitry to control them independently.

If someone has a very good working knowledge of the communication protocols I'm sure they could build something to interface sensors to make that cluster function without an ecm.