MMB Upgrade Plans

Discussion in 'Site News, Feedback, Forum Suggestions and Help' started by Stefan, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Stefan

Stefan Big Cheese Administrator

The MMB has been using the vBulletin (VB) forum software since 2002. It started off with VB version 2 and then it was upgraded to version 3. Several major releases of VB 3 were made over the years and the forum has been running the latest release of VB 3 for a while.

VB 3 has been superseded by VB 4, however due to compatibly and stability issues, I have held off upgrading the MMB to VB 4. Development of VB 4 has slowed down as development is being concentrated on VB 5. Although not complete, a demo of VB 5 is available which I have been testing out. I was not impressed with the VB 5 demo and many key features are currently missing and it will take a while for all the compatibly and stability issues to be fixed.

Over the years I have been looking at different forum packages. After testing out the VB 5 demo, I decided on moving away from VB and will convert the MMB to the Invision Power Board (IPB). Due to many customizations, converting the MMB from VB to IPB will be a massive undertaking and will require lots of planning, work and testing.

My goal is to have everything converted (e.g. members, posts, threads, attachments, gallery content, articles, link directory, trader feedback, etc) and make transitioning to IPB as seamless as possible for MMB members. Still, this will be a big change and in order to make this transition easier, I created a new site based on the IPB forum software. The new site will allow members to get a feel for the IPB forum software and provide feedback. It will also allow me to try out and configure the different features of the forum software and to slowly re-create all the customizations that the MMB uses.

The new IPB forum is a spinoff of the MMBs 1960 - 1969 Mercury Comets sub forum and (eventually) will mimic all the features found on the MMB. The MMBs 1960 - 1969 Mercury Comets sub forum will remain open for now, but all 1960 - 1969 Mercury Comets discussions should take place on the new forum.

To encourage MMB members to test out the new forum, I made registering for it very easy. I created an add-on that will copy your MMB user name, email and supporting membership (if you are a current supporting member) to the new forum. You just need to enter a new password for the new forum and click on the Submit button.

Even if you have no interest in 1960-1969 Comets, I still encourage you to register at the new forum to test out new features. You can always post in the off topic section, upload to the streamlined photo gallery (I added a general Ford, Mercury and Lincoln section) Click here to for the new forum.

Once all the MMB features are added to the new forum and conversion testing is complete, only then will the MMB be converted to the IPB forum software. This will take months and I have no set deadline for the conversion.

Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns or encounter any errors. Thanks.

Update Forum will be converted to Xenforo instead of IPB.

Tl;DR: MMB software will be upgraded; get a feel for it here

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  2. Stefan

New and improved features in the IPB forum Software (this list will be updated as I enable/add new features)

• User Experience: The forum has a modern look and feel
    • Mobile User Experience: All areas have a consistent look and feel when viewed from a mobile device.
    • Member Map: Visual view of where members are located. Can also be used for events (I added the MCG and MCCI national shows).
    • Like System: Members can "like" posts.
    • High Performance Forum Search Engine: Once configured, improved search results will be returned.
    • Content Management System (CMS): Publishing system, which will be used for articles and if possible, creating a link directory. (Not yet setup, but out of the box content can be seen here)
    • Content Delivery Network (CDN): Once configured, forum speed will be improved by having static content (e.g. images) served from different access points throughout the Internet.

3. Stefan

Known Issues

Some members are having issues with logging into the new forum after registering. A workaround for this is a password reset. Click here to request a new password or send me a PM on the MMB with a new password you would like to use.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  4. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Has this forum changed lately? I've notice a little difference in the resolution...if that makes sense..
    I was wondering if we'd get an update at some point. :thumbs2:

5. Stefan

I did some server config changes recently, but it would not affect the resolution.

6. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Seems to me, the "Smilies" look different, not as crisp?

7. MSmithPDX

MSmithPDX Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet (sold to scrapper), 1974 Comet GT
    Nice, I've always been a fan of IPB. This should turn out very well.

8. schroensr

schroensr knight Runner

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 Mercury Comet
    What ever you decide,I'll help back you. Just let me know.:Handshake

9. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    I will check it out and let you know what I think.....

10. canuck222

canuck222 vroom, vroom... Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Mercury Comet, 302, Auto
    The mobile version is a vast improvment :-D

11. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 250 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    60-69mercurycometforums won't let me sign in...or register...or sign me in automatically to reply to the Welcome Wagon thread. Says username and password incorrect. I don't have permission to see any new features. The mmb link says I have already registered

12. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer)
    I been over there and posted about a couple of possible qwerks..

13. Stefan

Sent you a PM.

14. Stefan

Cool. Which device are you using?

15. Stefan

Thanks. Im looking into it.